rlbordonaro is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Linked Excel file to Access Form truncates text

Hi, I know there is a simple solution to this question - my access form is truncating the Excel data (linked table) to 255 characters. I have another form that is linked to a different Excel file and this form is not truncating the text. I cannot determine the difference. How can I avoid access truncating the excel text?

The excel data is in General format. Thanks,

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    I created an excel file with 25 rows, first column has 2704 characters, 2nd column has 19141 characters. Then I linked them into access as a linked table. After a query. the data that imported did not truncate. Are you sure the data is being truncated at the table level? or are you trying to bring it in in a control on the form level that may show only 255 characters(best guess i have)?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You might receive a comment that the data is linked, not imported as the other thread so the incorrect determination of data types doesn't apply IMHO.
    When linking to a sheet that has columns with entries greater than 255 characters, the column is mapped as a memo field type and the character cut off point for displaying in Access is 255 although the underlying data is not affected. The work around is to import into a table where these fields are of the memo (now long text?) data type.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.