Peter Simpson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Backup DataBase using a command button

My database is not split at this point in time as I am still developing quite a lot and for this reason I am backing up frequently (I will split it closer to the deployment time.).

Is it a relatively simple process to create a command button on the main switchboard to induce a backup?

If this is the case, and you as access fundi's recommend it, can you please help me set this up?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thankyou Orange, I will look into it in a few minutes

One more question for you....should I be versioning my DB? All my research indicates that yes I should. If that is the case, then I assume from my research that I will need versioning software, or does Access have it built in?

Access does not have this built in.

In general, at an overview level, your versioning should be set up with what ever means is appropriate to you and your environment.
    It is much like document control. You need some process (manual or software supported) to track which is the latest version of X? What is the major difference/approach in X, X-1, X-2 for example? When dealing with forms, reports, procedures you can add description/remarks texts as comments within code. You could put descriptions with detail in the Object description areas, or you could have a separate set up to record the details--which could be used in documentation, training and more analysis/options situations.

How vital/critical is your database to your business? If critical, then you'll have to establish/create/test procedures commensurate with risk.

Backing up your production/operations database is necessary --people realize this after a major/catastrophic failure.

Others may have more detailed advice and/or materials/links related to source control and related procedures.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Ok, I think I get what you have imparted.

What I have in place is a table and a query set up for development inside the DB that documents whatever structures and architecture may change as well as for whatever reasons. It is a bit of a manual exercise but so far so good. The query is run using a command button that exports the changes to an excel document.

If what you have satisfies your requirements, then carry on.
    Why do you save to excel--just curious?
    I have often used a "logger " form to record info that is/may be important so I make a dated note with relevant info and store it.
    I have used a separate Access table in current database; separate database and a txt file on the file system.

It would be good to see what others do and how they evolved to whatever mechanism they have along with any procedures they have developed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.