PATRICKPBME is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Form will not close after inserting a hyperlink?

I created a new field in a table entitled File Cabinet. I added 1 hyperlink to this field to see how it might work. I then went into design view and inserted this new field into the form I was designing. Once in, I went back to form view and saw the field had attached with the link inside. Clicking on the hyperlink brought the desired result.

The problem arose when I went to close the form. I was asked, as expected, if I wanted to save changes. I said I did and then went to close the program. However, I was asked again if I wanted to save design changes and, again, I said yes. Despite several attempts to close the form, it would not and just kept asking if I wanted to save changes. Finally used task manager to get out of Access. When I opened the form, the field was still there but there was no hyperlink in the same.

Am I missing a step?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Did you close from Design view or Form view?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I made the change (inserted the field) in design view, switched back to form view and then tried to save resulting in the problem.

Later I thought I had figured out the problem. Assuming the form is based upon a query, I did not have the new field in the query. I found the query in Design under resource record and added the field. Still no luck. I even ran the query and did, as I figured I would, get the desired result with the new field. However, I still can't insert the field in the form and get it to save. Try Compact and Repair as well but stuck at the moment as to what I am missing.

June7 is offline VIP
    So you did not try saving from Design view?

If the field was not in the query, how could you have inserted the field to begin with and seen the hyperlink that was input in table?

Advise no spaces in name convention, better would be FileCabinet or File_Cabinet.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I did indeed try to save it in the design view with the same results.

I added the field to the table and then dragged the filed from that table onto the form in design view. Later, when I checked the query in Record Source the field was not present so I opened the existing query and added it. I later checked to make sure it was included there in Record Source.

I will remove the spaces for that field per your suggestion.

I think I am getting close to just recreating the form which I hate to do, but...

Some have suggested and provided a code for me to use but, sadly, at the moment that is well beyond my level of competence. Is it inappropriate to just use hyperlinks to pull in documents from another source so that you don't have them all taking up space on your database?

As to sending the DB, it's just too big!

Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't understand 'dragged the field from table'. I do understand how to drag from the Field List but that requires the field to be in the RecordSource (using the * wildcard in query does include all fields). I did this and saved form. Cannot replicate issue.

The warning about spaces applies to all names, not just the one field.

Make a copy of your db and delete everything not relevant to the issue. Run Compact & Repair. Zip and attach to post.

Yes, I meant field list in design view that shows the fields from the tables.

I ran a new query and set up a form with the hyperlinks in the table which is working okay so I think I have come up with a workaround for the time being.

When I figure out where I went wrong I will post.

Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.