kburton is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access 2016 error 80040e37 when accessing linked tables programmatically (VBA)

I have been developing an Access application utilizing two desktops (Win 7 Enterprise 64bit with Access 2013 64bit and Win 7 Home 64bit with Access 2016 Pro 64bit) and a laptop (Win 10 Home 64bit with Access 2016 Pro 64bit). I had prior to my encountering the problem I'm about to describe Office 2007 Enterprise 32bit on both "Home" computers. The databases that I'm developing incorporate multiple databases with multiple tables, with each database accessing the tables of the other "external" databases as "Linked" tables. Everything has been going fine (manually as well as programmatically opening the tables, whether linked or direct - i.e., not externalized).

And then I installed Office Pro 2016 64bit on both "Home" computers. Now I cannot, for the life of me, programmatically open ANY newly created linked table, getting the infamous 80040e37 error. I can access ALL the tables (old or new, linked or not) manually - i.e., double clicking on the table from within the database. And I can programmatically access ALL the tables (by all computers) which had been linked prior to the install of Office Pro 2016, but not so with ANY table linked after the install (from any of the computers). What's even more baffling is that I'm getting the 80040e37 for new tables linked and accessed by the vintage Access 2013, without Access 2016 being involved at all. I've even created two new databases with Access 2013, manually set up a link, and without Access 2016 being involved at all, still get the same error with Access 2013.

I've tried not only linking the tables manually, but programmatically as well, with the same results. I have reinstalled Office Pro 2016 to no avail. I've searched the Internet for clues and/or others experiencing the same problem, but to no avail. (And I cannot believe nobody else has stumbled on this same issue.)

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Have you checked to make sure that you are referencing the right references? or maybe need to add/use a different. Maybe change the priority of them.

kburton is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    My error was blatantly starring me in the face - and the fact that nobody else was reporting problems with Access 2016 as relating to linked tables - indicated to me that it was something I was doing wrong. And it was. I employed the services of a fellow employee (who knows nothing about Access or programming in general) as a sounding board. Took only about 30 seconds into the dialog when it jumped out at me like a ton of bricks! In essence, my connect statement was stipulating a database that truly didn't have the linked definitions in it , so of course, it produced the 80040e37. I apologize to all who took it upon themselves to offer a hand of assistance in this matter that was verily "eating my lunch". Thanks, and thanks again!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.