DecaturLady is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

When opening Query, get enter Parameter Value for telephone number data

When opening Query, keep getting request for Parameter Value for phone number.

When opening my query, I get an Enter Parameter Value message. The Data is a telephone number, of which I have several in they.

HomePhone-2 is the only field giving me this hiccup…. I’ve looked everywhere I can think to look; all the phone number fields appear to be identical.

Below are screenshots of pertinent format info.

Can anyone help? I need to use this data with a merge but don’t want to move forward until all existing issues are resolved.

Thanks in advance, DL

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why are you bothering with alias field names in query?

Advise no spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in naming convention.

No clues from that image as to cause of popup. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Delete that column and see if it runs. If so, try to add back that one field without the ([ ])

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Neither the square brackets or parentheses should make a difference. A query alias is ignored if the table field has a caption, so I don't see the point of a query field alias either. What follows the alias has to be the actual table name as well (not the caption) and that is what I see in the image so it should be fine. Are you sure there isn't another query field that's not being shown? Because if the table field in the query is not the same name as the field in the table you will get this prompt. Perhaps either there's a query field we can't see, or there are similar queries in the db and the image is of a different one.

Deleting as suggested would prove/disprove this. If it still didn't run and there isn't a second field causing the prompt, then it's a mystery. If it does run, then something is mis-named.
    EDIT: the use of special characters like minus signs is just asking for trouble.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

DecaturLady is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    After Deleting Homephone2 from the query, a ghost image remained. I call this a bug!!! It was very strange, I carefully reviewed all 25 of the query's fields and Homephone2 was not present. Yet when I closed and reopened it, the Parameter request would appear.

The only solution was to create a new query (which is working fine thanks to your suggestions)!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and support.

DL

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    As others have suggested, I'd remove the dash/minus signs. Access doesn't like them in field/object names. If you do need some sort of character, then the underscore '_' is the one to use.
    Good luck.

June7 is offline VIP
    Corruption can occur in the oddest places. Sometimes Compact & Repair will correct and sometimes the only recourse is to rebuild, sometimes an entire database. Especially during early stages of development when a lot of design changes take place.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Given the responses I'd hazard a guess that Name Auto Correct is turned on and a field or table had been renamed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.