andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Angry How to put a crosstab query on a subform

I have a crosstab query which basically tells me every pupils test results with the tests being the column heading. There are anywhere between 0 (until their first test) and 18 tests

I'm trying to get this into a subform with the tblStudent (name etc) so that I can see the progress they are making but am running into wall after wall.

Firstly, the crosstab

Code:
    TRANSFORM First(qrydoesthiswork.grade) AS FirstOfgrade
    SELECT qrydoesthiswork.StudentID_PK, qrydoesthiswork.Firstname, qrydoesthiswork.surname, First(qrydoesthiswork.grade) AS [Total Of grade]
    FROM qrydoesthiswork
    GROUP BY qrydoesthiswork.StudentID_PK, qrydoesthiswork.Firstname, qrydoesthiswork.surname
    PIVOT qrydoesthiswork.slotID_FK;
    All fine

But when I try to put this, or any form based on this, into a subform it tells me I need to set the column headings property. I cant change this as the columns are labelled according to their slotID and this increases every term.

I've tried reversing the forms so that the main form is the crosstab and the student details is the subform.

This works Ok unless a student hasn't got a result. Then I get an error "you entered an expression which has no value" in this dlookup.

Code:
    myCS = Nz(DLookup("slotID_PK", "tblcalendar", "slot like 'christ*' and [yeargp] = " & Me!FrmStudent.Form![yeargp]), "")
    Presumably because there is no student info to link the master and child fields

Getting stressed!!!

Can anyone help.

I'll happily post further details

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Building a stable form or report based on CROSSTAB query is not easy because of the dynamic nature of the column headings. Frankly, I've never heard of anyone trying to use a CROSSTAB on a form, much less a dependent subform. A report based on CROSSTAB is difficult enough. Consider myself lucky I've never needed CROSSTAB.

If you want to make sure there is a record in the CROSSTAB for every student, then need to include Students table in the CROSSTAB or in qrydoesthiswork with a JOIN that 'includes all Students records ...'. This should result in a column with header [<>] if any student does not have any grades.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.