wam18jr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Importing Data from Home Computer to Work Computer

Good Morning, Afternoon or Evening,

I am certain this question has been answered somewhere, but I cannot find the specific answer, or just don't understand it. Thus, my query here.

Can someone tell me how I can write individual records on my home computer and then, without having to cut and paste every field, copy or import these individual records into the office database.

I work in an office that operates a server which I do not have access to when I am not in the office. On that server, there is a database of all the information entered into individual report forms we use. You open Access and you start at the last record entered. I gather information while I am home and on-call that has to be entered into an Access 2013 form at the office.

I have access to the entire database of records while at the office and have copied the entire database to a thumb drive, so I have access to records at home, but that is not my problem.

What I want to do is write the records at home, on my home computer on the company form, copy them to the thumb drive and import them as individual records in the database at the office. There is one piece of data, a case number, that does not get assigned to the form until I get to the office, but everything else, I have at home. I can add the case number at the office before I import the data if need be.

I am aware I could complete the form, save it to the database on my thumb drive and then overwrite the entire database on the server, but I REALLY don't want to do this as it would screw up a couple of thousand records if I messed up. Thus, my desire to import individual records.

I appreciate your tolerance as I am a newbie to Access as well as forum posting. My knowledge of coding is non-existent, so any kind of programming requirement would be lost on me.

Thanks for any help!!

Bill

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have you researched database synchronization?

In your 'home' db, set link to the table that needs the new records. Build an INSERT SELECT query. Review https://www.w3schools.com/SQL/sql_in...nto_select.asp. But copy/paste may be just as easy.

If the case number is a required field and not an autonumber, will have to enter this into the 'home' db first. This runs the risk of other users entering records and duplicating the case number.

Once records are transferred, might want to delete from the 'home' db.

If there are actually multiple tables involved, this will get way more complicated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Depending on how critical the data is, and the risks involved when performing whatever procedure you arrive at, you might be wiser to explore remote access via something like Citrix. If my company wouldn't pay for such a license then IMHO, they don't really want me to work from home. Where I worked, many people had such access to the network, but it was supposed to be used by exception and not as a rule. They were happy with us putting in 40 good hours.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    @Micron, OP says they are 'on call'. Guess just trying to make their workload simpler. Why write info on paper when can input directly into digital record? But implementing the convenience comes at a price.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I get that they're on call. If that's the luxury that the employer wants to have, the onus should be on them to provide whatever is needed to facilitate it. That's how it was wherever I've ever worked. That's how it should be IMHO.

June7 is online now VIP
    Can't disagree but employer's idea of 'facilitate' may not be same as employee's. Employer may be just fine with paper/pencil at home then input when get to the office.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.