ronJohns42 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Multiple concurrent users utilizing a multi-response data field

As a volunteer, I created a database to gather survey responses for homeless coalition surveys. Historically we have used a shared version of Access to support multiple input computers performing data input concurrently. In the latest version I added some multiple response questions and this appears to have impacted the ability for multi-user access to the shared data base. I.e. we could only get one input computer at a time to load the data.
    I am looking for some insights to determine if the multi-response questions are causing the problem of if there may be another reason that we are unable to concurrently access the shared data file. Any help much appreciated

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you MUST split the database.
    Did you do this and put the backend tables on a server so all can access it?

Thanks for your response. If I understand your comment I did split the database. To confirm, here is the configuration I used. Database was on network server. Data entry used stations were separate workstations on the LAN that had Access application installed but activated the specific data base housed on the server.
    Any additional insight appreciated.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Each workstation should have its own copy of the frontend db linked to the single backend file.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

I think that is what I did. See above comments. As I indicated this process worked just fine before I added the multi-response variables.
    Any additional thoughts?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Each workstation should have its own copy of the frontend db linked to the single backend file.
    I think that is what I did.
    is not an answer, the above comments is what triggered the statement. If all users are sharing the same front end, you run a high risk of corruption. This may have become apparent by making your change to the front end.

no idea what a multi-response variable is but with regards
    we could only get one input computer at a time to load the data.
    this may be as a result of corruption as suggested above or incorrect coding for your changes, without knowing what it entails, it is impossible to say.

Thanks for your help. If I understand your comment I need to somehow split the data base from the front end code. I'm not sure how to do that. What I mean by a multi-response variable is there are can be multiple answers to the same question. I.e. it can have have an A,and B, and C as answers as opposed to just an A, or B or C.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I'm getting confused
    I need to somehow split the data base from the front end code
    thought you said you had done this. If you haven't then it is essential you do. see this link for more information http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/databasesplitter/ for the benefits and how to split your db.

sorry, still don't understand what you mean by multi response variable - I'm sure it is terminology, but variables are used in code, data is stored in fields in tables, and forms/reports use controls.

There are two 'multi' type controls, multiselect listboxes and multivalue combo boxes. The former requires additional coding if selections are to be stored, the latter does not but are often used incorrectly and are generally avoided by anyone with a bit of experience, but might be appropriate for you if the choices are literally A, B, C, D.

Thanks for this information. I appreciate your help and will make the changes as indicated and let you know if it resolves my issues. To use your terminology what I added was the multivalue combo boxes.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Your combo looks like this https://support.office.com/en-us/art...A001233722#BM4
    If so, maybe you should rethink their use. They are a crutch that will keep you limping along as you continue to use and develop your db.

I'm getting the drift that things worked before, properly split or not. While I agree you need to understand what a properly split db architecture is like and maybe not having done so has introduced corruption, it's possible you will go through that exercise and find that the problem remains. Perhaps your changes put locks on the data that you expect others to be accessing at the same time. That part is a bit problematic for me because to cause the problem (outside of corruption) you'd either need to have multiple concurrent users trying to access the same record when one of them has accessed it already, or record locking was set to the entire table. You are using forms to edit the data, yes?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    To use your terminology
    its not my terminology - it's the terminology for Access. If you want people to help you, you need to use the appropriate terms

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.