PhilH is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Report Filtering

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a table that contains the following fields

"Project Name" (Numerous projects included)
    "Group Name" (Contains numerous names)
    "Group Type" (There are only two types - "Security Group" or "Distribution Group")
    "First Name"
    "Last Name"

Every entry in the table has a "project name", then a "group name" then the "group type" then the "first name" and "last name"

I want to create a report that is grouped by "Project" and lists all the members of each "Security Group" only, but alongside their name, it shows the name of the "Distribution Group they belong to (If they belong to one)

What I believe i want is to somehow have the "Group Name" appear twice in the detail of my report, but filter the results depending on the group type

Any help would be appreciated.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    First thing to understand is that a report is a display of data, so you need to get your data right before trying to create a report. Which means queries.
    - query 1 - project, group type with criteria = security group
    - query 2 - join query 1 to the table using project and group and security, get the list of names
    - query 3 - join query 2 to table using first and last name, get the distribution group as an additional field

PhilH is offline Novice
    Hi,

Thanks for replying, however as I have limited experience of Access, I'm not sure what you mean.
    I understand Query 1, but do I create a totally separate Query 2, and how do Join Query 1, and to which table?
    Similarly with Query 3, is this another separate Query, and to which table do I join?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Maybe you should do some tutorials on Access. Yes these are three separate queries. Your first post said that you "have a table", I do not know which table to join to. I explained the joins based on your first post.

andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    If you save your queries as qr1, qr2,qr3 you should be able to drag them to the query window and connect them as you usually do when you design a query

PhilH is offline Novice
    Thanks for the comments but I'm struggling to create a query that produces the results I want.
    I've attached a screenshot of my table. In total there are 14 entries, but I only want to display the 9 security group entries. (Everyone must belong to a security group, but not everyone needs to be in a distribution group)

The final outcome I want is for 9 entries to be listed, with the first and last names, and the name of the security group, together with the name of the distribution group (This left blank if they do not belong to one)

Any help appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	30975

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.