Ramtrap is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Database Visualization Question - Report or Form? Both?

Hi all,

I am building a conference scheduling database. I am trying to visualize how to set up this particular concept:

I have the following tables:
    Conference_Main (overarching Conference)
    Conference_Day (identifies how many days conference is, which will have different people going to it, different topics, etc.; foreign key link to Conference_Main)
    Conference_Agenda_Item (overall agenda of the conference day (i.e., start time, end time, presenter(s), etc.); foreign key link to Conference Day)

Do I need to have an Overall_Agenda table, or can that just be a report? The goal is I want a user to be able to click a "View Agenda" button on any particular Conference Day and be shown a report of that day's full agenda. Example:

Conference_Main: Job Conference
    Conference_Day: Day 1 <button to view entire agenda>
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Resume Writing, 8 am to 10 am
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Writing a Cover Letter, 10 am to 12 pm
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Lunch, 12 pm to 1 pm
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Dressing for Success, 1 pm to 2 pm
    Conference_Day: Day 2 <button to view entire agenda>
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Interview Process, 8 am to 10 am
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Selecting Benefits, 10 am to 12 pm
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Lunch, 12 pm to 1 pm
    Conference_Agenda_Item: Telecommuting, 12 pm to 1 pm

The above is a simple/rough concept, but should visualize what I'm trying to do.

It seems like what I need is just a report that consists of the individual agenda items that keys in on the Conference_Day foreign key, but I can't get it in my head what that should look like. I guess my question would be is where the "<button to view entire agenda>" is, should that link to a report, and on the report, I would have a "View/Edit" button linking to a form for the individual agenda items?

This is my first database, so I apologize if this is way too obvious for some of you guys! I'm just unsure that if the Overall Agenda should actually be a table what information would need to be included in something like that. Any help appreciated!

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Do I need to have an Overall_Agenda table, or can that just be a report?
    First thing to understand about a database is that tables are for storing data and reports are for displaying it. In order to display data in the way you want it, that data needs to be (a) stored somewhere and (b) easily accessible. Once the tables are designed correctly, such as a house with a solid foundation, then reports/display will be far simpler.

The second thing you need to figure is how that data is going to be entered into those tables.

Here are some good links for table design (post #3): https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=68603. Notice that one of the rules of normalization is to not repeat data, data will only be stored once.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.