justme1234 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Limiting data shown on the form to enter new data

Hello,
    I am new to Access and I have a question. I have a database with 2 tables: a table storing computer server information, such as server model number, serial number, etc. and a table storing software information, such as license key, installation date, etc. In the computer server table, I am using the serial number as the primary key and in the software information table I am using the license key as the primary key. The relationship between the computer server and software is 1-to-1, each computer can have only 1 software license and each license can only be installed on one computer.

So to link the 2 tables together, I created a lookup field in the computer server table and I am able make the relationship unique so that I would get an error if I assign the software key to more than one table.

Here is my question: when I put in a new entry for a server, I would like to see only unassigned software key in that lookup field. Currently when I click on that field, it shows all available software keys. How can I limit to only unassigned keys?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie question.

Denny

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Combobox RowSource would be a query that joins the two tables on the two software fields. Join type "Show all records from software table ...". Have a WHERE clause - WHERE [software field from computer table] Is Null

You might also want code in the combobox AfterUpdate event to requery the combobox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.