TLC is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

how to query based on nested criteria

Hi, everyone. I have been learning Access by creating personal functional projects and my latest pet project, in the planning stage, is puzzling me concerning its feasability (as I still don't know much beyond basic and mutliple table queries with criteria)

I am trying to create a database with some vocabulary to quickly create lists of words according to level of difficulty, word category, meaning category, etc.

I have already planned the main and linking tables as well as the relationships, but I need some pointers comcerning the feasability of my approach to meaning category.

There is a table for words with the following records: animal, mammal, dog, bird, eagle. There is also a field that identifies the meaning category:
    mammal and bird belong in the animal category
    dog is in the mammal category
    eagle is in the bird category

In short, any word has the potential to become a meaning category. How to achieve this:
    1) Every word can have several meanings, so I need a table for each unique word
    2) another table will match word and meaning (long text field) as well as a field for meaning category (its source being the original table with the list of unique words)
    3) write a query that manages to get all the words above (mammal, dog, bird, eagle) by giving animal as the criteria in the meaning category field.

I am not sure if it is possible to create a query as the one described above - some of the categories are not hierarchically deep, like colors and numbers; but others can get complex, like clothes and food.

If it is possible, please point me in the right direction so I can develop the query - if not, I'll just have to rethink this bit of the database.

Thanks for any helpful input.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like a recursive relationship database - like a family tree.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

TLC is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, June7. I now have a proper name that describes what I want to achieve. I have started researching and I am happy to find it is feasible to do it in ms access, albeit difficult.

I'll go study recurrent databases in order to finish planning the structure of my database and then apply it.

Should I mark this thread as solved (as the study, planning and implemenation, on top of a busy life schedule, will mean I am going to take quite some time) and then create a new thread to share the (hopefully)successful implementation of this?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Mark it solved if you feel this does adequately addresses your original question, but not critical to do so. Marking solved is a clue to other searchers that the thread could provide a resolution for their own similar issue. If you feel providing info on the fruits of your efforts could be useful to others, then feel free to update in this thread.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.