schulzy175 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Cannot get DSum to work appropriately

I'm newer towards the programming side of Access and have recent found the function DSum to add fields and tables, but I cannot ever get the code to run properly nor have I figured out the proper syntax. Here is a sample code I am working with:

Code:
    Qnty: DSum([Item Quantity],[Table1],"skittles")
    Table1 is the master table and Item Quantity is a field within it. I am trying to add all quantities for the reference item name "skittles".

Throughout multiple videos and articles, all were showing different syntax's. Using "" instead of [] and visa-versa.

Now when I run the code, I always get prompted to Enter a Parameter which completely confuses me.

All in short, I cannot seem to get it to work. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You need both "" and [] for the field name argument because field name has space. The [] define name, the "" define the argument value. Don't use spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in naming convention and the [] usually not needed. There are some situations where they will be needed regardless.

It is interesting that a space in table name is okay without [] in the DSum. Just tested, hadn't realized that before. However, note use of [] in the aggregrate query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I appreciate the link, but I have already reviewed the same page multiple times because that page still doesn't explain the uses for "" and []. Also got the code to work, but it keeps asking to enter a parameter. Thanks for the help @orange and @June7. @June7, you perfectly summed up and answered exactly what I have been trying to find.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The DSUM() function has 3 parameters: expression, domain, [criteria]

The expression is the field in the domain you want to sum. This field name must be a string: "ItemQuantity"
    The domain is the table/query you want to use to get the numbers. The domain name must be a string:"Table1"
    The criteria is like a WHERE clause in a query, without the word WHERE. This must also be a string: "ItemName = 'skittles'"

Note the placement/usage of the quotes. Because the criteria value is a string, delimiters must be used.
    I used single quotes, but you could use double quotes.
    "ItemName = ""skittles"""

So on a form, set the control source of a text box control to
    Code:
        =DSum("ItemQuantity","Table1","ItemName = 'skittles'")
    or
    Code:
        =DSum("ItemQuantity","Table1","ItemName = ""skittles""")
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a query, use
    Code:
    Qnty: DSum("ItemQuantity","Table1","ItemName = 'skittles'")
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the criteria field was a number type, you would use
    Code:
    =DSum("ItemQuantity","Table1","ItemFK = 10")
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have spaces in field names, the field name must be enclosed by brackets AND quotes:
    Code:
        =DSum("[Item Quantity]","Table1","ItemName = 'skittles'")

Thank you so much. You explained it all. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.