fret hack is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

AllowEdits and Subforms

Hello All,

To sum up the problem, I have added an edit/lock control to a main form to disallow accidental editing of existing fields. There are two subforms (one for Notes and one for Associated Permits) to enter data into related tables that are tied to the main table by “Permit Number”.

The edit/lock control works just fine; however when AllowEdits = False, only the headers for the subforms are visible unless there are entries for a particular Permit Number.

If entries exist in the related tables, the subforms show all data and I can add new records

If there are no entries in the related tables, the subforms only show headers and I cannot add new records, even when in edit mode.

When AllowEdits = True, the subforms and the edit/lock control all work well, but the form is of course editable until the edit/lock button has been engaged once.

Hope this makes sense.

Is it possible for AllowEdits = False and still have the subforms work properly? If not, is there a workaround?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    The usual workaround is to Lock or Lock/Disable all the Controls in the Main Form, except for the Subform Controls, instead of setting AllowEdits to False, to prevent their being accidentally changed...then reverse this when editing is allowed.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

fret hack is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you very much! I figured that would be the case but wanted to make sure that there wasnt a more efficient way.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.