noliver is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Help with a simple Teacher contact database

Hi. I'm a newbie to the forum, but I've been working with Access for a few years and have a solid understanding of how it works.

I am working in a Music Dept at a University and need to build a contact database for outreach/recruitment.

I'm trying to build a simple contact database tracking teachers and their schools. I'm using the MS Contact template and adding two additional tables.
    I have three tables:
    Contacts
    Schools_Orgs
    Subjects

I use the subjects table for lookup to add to the Contacts table.

There is a one to many relationship between schools and teachers, but I can't seem to get it right (one school can have many teachers, but only each teacher has only one school).

There are two forms - contact details and contact list. The Details form is based on a pre-set Contacts Extended query that I modified and added the Schools table to, but I must not have set up the relationship correctly, because I get an error.

I am really struggling with getting everything to work together.

Any idea how to build a simple data model that helps me connect these three tables?
    I'm not sure if subjects really needs to be a separate table, but I couldn't find an elegant way of allowing one teacher to have multiple subjects.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Contacts is the teachers table? Have a field for the School ID.

What error do you get?

Don't understand the form arrangement. Essentially a form should do data entry to only one table. Why are you including Schools table in form RecordSource?

How are Subjects related to the other tables? You probably need a junction table to associate teachers with subjects. Are subjects available to a teacher dependent on the associated school?

If you want to provide db with your edits, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.