Alphavk is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

DB with multple table to be compiled to in another table

Dear All,

I am beginner in Access and here I am requesting respected all to help me on below:
    I have many table in one DB and each table is supposed to be filled by different people. And I need to compile the info filled in the separate table to a different table. This is a continuous process. I have attached the DB for your reference. Advise me creating the relationship also. If you can explain me in a simple way it will be very much helpful to me.

Hope your support and help in this regard.

Thanks to all in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it would help if you provided a full description of what the db is supposed to do, the environment in which it works (ok, multi user, but all users using the same back end? multi site etc) and some examples of what you mean - user A fills out which table, which is then updated to ?? table, where?

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks Ajax for you response.

This file will be accessed by all users from a common drive for data entry. I need to compile/update all the information filled in Tables 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 & 2-4 into another new table. What ever info filled by the user in any table need to be updated/compiled in that new table in the same DB. In all these tables there is a common field "Project". A report need to be generated for all the information related for a specific project. Hope this is helpful. Pls advise whether the attached DB which I prepared is in the correct format/Style or need to be modified.

Regards and awaiting your response.

Are you creating a new table for every new project?

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks ArviLaanemets for your response.

I don't know actually how it works; with separate table or with one table. I want only single table for all project
    Refer the attached excel sheet (and the previously attached Access file) in which I explained the requirement.
    Thanks for your support and awaiting to hear from you
    Attached Files Attached Files

I looked at both attachments, and now some thoughts.

1. When not I, then I think almost everyone here in forum will advice you to get rid of dashboard. Very unlikely your project will be a simple one, and managing it from dashboard will grow over your head very fast;
    2. It is adviced not to start database objects (tables/forms/etc.) names with numbers. Mostly it doesn't effect anything, but it is better to be on safe side;
    3. In Access database, keep all info about one object (p.e. project) you can write down into single row in one table. The only reasonable exception is, when this info doesn't exist for all objects;
    4. Whenever some info about object (p.e. tenders for same project) you can't keep in single row, you need a new table. NB! It willbe a bad practice to avoid creating new table by adding several fields with same type info into table;
    5. To import your data from Excel into Access, collect your Excel data into tables with structure similar to tables you want in access, and place every table on separate worksheet. Get rid of empty rows in tables. After that, import/link these tables into Access. Now you can add imported data into your access tables. As you want use autonumbers in your Access tables, then you must make some tweaking to get links allright (you havn't any control which autonumber to which row is given) - probably you have to generate similar id's in excel (manually or using formulas), and use them in Access insert queries to get right autonumber value from parent table inserted into child table.

6. Edit. About report table. Is this a table where you store links to some (elctronically signed) documents p.e. in PDF format, or a collection of data needed to print a report?. When former, then OK. When later, then there is no need for this - you design a report in Access, and you print it whenever you need this.

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks for your response.Point 1 - OKPoint 2 - OKPoint 3 - not clearPoint 4 - not clearPoint 5 - this is only a sample for infoPoint 6 - Both required. Can’t directly print compiled info from the table

You can print practically anything, formatted exactly as you need it.
    Create a saved query with all main info needed for report, and desing your main report based on this query - or design main reports datasource as query directly;
    You can have any number of subreports in your main report - with every one of them based on own saved query or datasource designed as query, and linked to main report.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.