swellybro is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Creating a database to track sports events and children

Hi,

I am a teacher and I would like to create a database in Access 2016 to hold information about children and sporting events. I'm just unsure of how to create the database design.

I'd like the children's table to contain information about the children e.g. name, year group, house colour, male/female etc...

Every year we hold different sporting events like archery, swimming etc... we send letters out to the children and sometimes we are over subscribed. I'd like to track who has applied to an event and who has been successful. So I would like to be able to store the event name, date and whether a child has applied and were successful/not successful. Would this be held in a table called events?

Where could i store the information on whether a child has applied to the event or not? Do I need an extra table?

I'm not 100% sure how I would link the table(s). I'm guessing I could have a unique number for each child and an event number. How do I store whether they have applied for an event?

At the end of the year I would like to run a report that told me how many children took part in an event. How many children were successful in applying for an event.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Thank you

Richard

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You need what's called a junction table. For each combination of child/event it would have a record containing the child ID, the event ID, and any other relevant fields (including its own ID field). One of those fields could be a Yes/No field for successfully applying.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.