Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

query returning duplicates

I have created a query from two tables. I have created a form to do multiple field search in the query but I am getting duplicates. for instance if A is mentioned just once in the table query result will show it multiple times. can anyone pzl suggest any solutions

SQL view of the query

SELECT DISTINCT [Logging Information].[Customer Name], [Logging Information].[Contact Date], [Logging Information].[Contact Type], [Customer Information].[Mailing Machine], [Customer Information].[Folder Inseter], [Customer Information].[Printer/Copiers], [Customer Information].Shredders, [Customer Information].[Known Software], [Logging Information].Comments
    FROM [Customer Information], [Logging Information];

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You have two tables in the query without a JOIN clause which results in a Cartesian relationship - every record of each table associates with every record of other table. Set a link in query between the key fields. Is there a customer ID in each table?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	30418thank u but now the problem is that when I connect Table:Customer Information "ID" with the logging information "customer address" and run the query there are no results displayed.

I am using this criteria to run the query.

Like "*" & [Forms]![CompetitiveAssets]![Known Software] & "*"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png  

June7 is offline VIP
    Why do you duplicate the Customer Name and Address in Logging Information table? Why would you link ID with Address instead of Name? Exactly what value is saved in that Customer Name field? Is it the ID from Customer Information?

Advise not to use spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore is only exception) in naming convention. Better would be CustomerInformation, CustomerName, Followup_Date, Application_P, etc.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    hak.

Step back from Access and tell us in plain English "what" you are trying to do.

Who is the Customer? What exactly is to be logged --in simple, plain English?

I think your table structure may be an issue, as June has noted.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Name:	20170923_000359.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	30422 i have never worked before in Access and this is the first project of the job. I have tried hard to catchup things but I am business student so there are some problems due to lack of knowledge about databases. Thank you for your help.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

2nd post

Name:	20170923_000546.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	30423 and this is the second page of the task that I was given

June7 is offline VIP
    This is an actual job assignment or coursework?

You didn't answer questions in post 4. Here's another - why are there CustomerName and CustomerInformation tables?

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    this is an assignment that I am working as a university Intern. Its part of my program. I made two tables bcz Company A can have several different locations with different equipment and we need to identify these oppertunities at different location. I hope this answers your question

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is the link to the database in case if you want to have a close look at this ingenious work
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asr_jzFWEFJGaYYEPrm9iQMIU7I

June7 is offline VIP
    Again, advise you modify naming convention as already suggested.

I never set lookups in tables and I never use dynamic parameterized queries. As a developer I find both of these features annoying. When I view a table I want to see the actual values in field and when I view a query I don't want to be nagged with popup inputs because a form isn't open.

There is no need for the CustomerName field in Logging table. It can be retrieved by query linking tables.

Use comboboxes on forms for assets. Because you are saving text description and using LIKE and wildcard in dynamic query, your comboboxes can use data saved in CustomerInformation table.

Example RowSource for MailingMachine: SELECT DISTINCT [Mailing Machine] FROM [Customer Information] ORDER BY [Mailing Machine];

For CompetitiveAssets and LoggingInformation, set LimitToList to Yes

Comboboxes would also be useful on CustomerInformation form. Only instead of LimitToList set to Yes, set No so users can select from dropdown list if item already exists but still be allowed to enter new item (combobox would have to be requeried to make the new item available for selection in another record in the same edit session).

I don't know what PotentialProducts form is about.

Alternatively, build an Assets table and use that as source for comboboxes.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    thank u so much.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    so now my queries take criteria from 5 combo boxes in the forms

Name:	2.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	30506
    My criteria is
    Is Null Or Like "*" & [Forms]![CompetitiveAssets]![MailingMachine] & "*"

Name:	3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	30507

So when I run the query by selecting criteria it also shows me the empty records which I don’t want but if I remove “Null” if there is a single field empty related to the five criteria it won't show me anything at all.

Can you plz suggest any solution for this.

June7 is offline VIP
    Deal with the Null values by creating fields in query with expression like: Nz([Mailing Machine],"none")

Apply the dynamic parameters to those calculated fields. You don't have to display these fields.

hak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.