JamesBJames is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

How do I set up my form so that I can update records in the corresponding table?

I'm trying to set up a database in Access to house our company's tax return information. I started by playing around with a test database to see if I could get the structure down pat before I started working with any real data.

My database has a couple of tables. It has an Entities table that shows the entities for which we are filing returns, a Returns table for the actual returns that have to be filed, a Returns Due table that lists every unique combination of entity + return and assigns each record an ID number, and finally there's a Data table that takes the aforementioned ID number and layers in information about the return's due date and other comments.

Returns Due Table:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access-returnsdue.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	30402

Data Table:

Name:	access-data.PNG 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	30403

I want to set up a form for other people on the front-end. My form looks like this so far:

Name:	access-form1.PNG 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	30405

The form is designed to display all of the entities alphabetically but disable the other list boxes / combo boxes / etc. until something is clicked. Once an entity is clicked, it enables the "Form Number" section and displays all the tax returns for that entity. Once one of the returns is clicked, it looks at the data table, enables the "Year End" section, and populates all of the years for which we've filed the returns. And, finally, once a year is clicked, there's a Tab Control that is enabled that returns information from the data table regarding the due date, comments, and the date filed.

I want to make it so that a person can use the tab control box to update a record on the Data table if necessary. So, per the screenshot above, maybe they need to add extension comments or a date filed. Assuming I don't want them to go into the tables, what's the easiest way to go about doing this? I've messed around with a lot of different VBA code but haven't been able to make anything work yet.

EDIT: Added database for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    I have made some changes to tables and forms. I also fixed the naming of objects to adhere to the naming conventions used in Access design.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Looks like aytee111 posted first, but I might as well post my partial dB as well. (I did enjoy sleeping in )

Since the controls are list boxes, you will have to create forms to add data.....

Not sure where you are headed with this, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.