vector39 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Tips for accurate import from Excel to Access?

Hi all

So awhile ago, I imported an excel (copy of the original) file into Access and I noticed there were tablename$_ImportErrors. For the most part, the table data, looked correct but I noticed some things, for example, some columns appeared shifted in places that didn't belong. This prompted me to refer to my copy vs the original and I noticed data was not consistent (for example, the values 'Yes' appeared in cells that should have been listed as 'No'). After re-doing my copy and matching the original as much as possible, I'm happy to say this new file has accurate and consistent data compared to the original. Now before I re-import this new file with correct data, I just wanted your thoughts on somethings. Everything in the original excel file was entered in free text. What I did was split the columns into two for most cells. For example, a column called EmployerDeclarationComplete has a bunch of yes or no values followed by trailing text (e.g. Yes follow up Jan 18/17). I split this into two columns, one with yes/no values and the other with any following text by using codes similar to this
    Code:
    =IF((LEFT(AB2,3)="YES"),LEFT(AB2,3),LEFT(AB2,2))
    for various fields. I also filled in most blank cells with a default value. I also incorported a macro used to split date fields with following text but under a condition (e.g. ongoing = start date plus ten years). Now my question is, will the macro disrupt the import process into Access? If so, should I simply remove it or save the file as a macro-free? Will the code
    Code:
    =IF((LEFT(AB2,3)="YES"),LEFT(AB2,3),LEFT(AB2,2))
    also hinder the import as well? And finally the columns storing trailing I set as comment fields, most are blank. Should these fields still have something stored in them? (e.g. N/A)? How can I make this a successful import with the most consistent and accurate data as possible?

As always any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Access imports the raw data from Excel, not the way it looks. Only trial and error will answer your questions. Keep in mind that Access looks at the first 8 rows to determine how to import the data, then imports the rest as per those determinations (for instance, a date field that is blank in the first 8 rows will be imported as text).

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I sometimes have to 'force' my fields to be text by putting a single quote in front of the value.
    I run a macro to do this ,THEN import via
    transferspreadsheet,
    or
    attach as an external table and run an append query.

I notice for the comment columns in excel with a code like
    Code:
    =IFERROR(RIGHT(J2,LEN(J2)-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(J2,"(","@"))+1),"")
    won't allow me to replace blank fields with some kind of default value. Do you think this could be problematic?

Thank you guys!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.