wcrimi is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

"Unrecognized database format" Error

I have a database I use on both my home and work computer. When I make changes in one place, I generally back it up to Google Drive and then move it to the other computer. So I am always working with the latest version. I've been doing this without any major issues for over 2 years even though the versions of Access on my 2 computers are different.

The other day I downloaded it to my work computer (which has the older version of Access). When I tried to open it up I got an "Unrecognized database format" error. At first I assumed there was a problem with that specific backup. So when I went home I downloaded that backup to my home computer to verify that, but it was fine (no issue on home computer). I created another backup and then tried on my work computer again the following day. Same error message.

Nothing much has changed to the database recently other than the addition of some more records to the same tables that I always add data to.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

The Version at work is Access 2007 and at home I have Access 2010.

Edit: I just sent a copy of that backup to a friend that uses Access 2016 and he had no problem opening it. So apparently it's a version issue, but no changes have been made other than adding records.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    This happened to me...i think it was upgraded to the newer version. You put a newer control on the form that the old ver doesnt have.
    The old 2007 wont read it, but 2010 will.
    So now you cannot go backwards. They got me too.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    That makes sense, but I don't think that's necessarily the answer because I have another database I am doing the same thing with and that one is still OK on 2007. It's a simpler database, but it's OK. It's very strange. I've been using 2010 at home all along and then able to view and use it on 2007 all along. There were a couple of little features that I couldn't use, but I could at least get to the database, see data, and export etc..

Edit: I just read somewhere that when you do a compact/repair on 2010 sometimes that triggers the issue on 2007???? I'm going to try doing that to my other database and see if it happens with that one too. If it does, then the only solution may be to upgrade the version at work (unless someone knows more or has a better idea)

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    It doesn't have to be a control. Any feature supported in a newer version that is not supported in an older one can cause this AFAIK. This can be as benign as changing the database sort order property. Sounds to me that if either backup version will work at home (2010) they are compatible with a design change that has been made, but that change isn't supported by the 2007 version. These should rule out corruption as the issue. Maybe at work they have altered some aspect of Office or have applied an update that has messed thing up. There are some KB articles here that you might want to follow up on
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orum=accessdev
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks. That's probably it. I did change a couple of queries.

If I learn anything new I'll post it for everyone's benefit.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.