Chris_James is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

MultiValue Option in form and how they populate a table

Hi, first post on here and relatively new to access with basic vba knowledge form Excel.

I have a problem i am struggling with. Basically I have the following tables:

- Tbl_Brand
    - Tbl_Variety
    - Tbl_DrinkSize
    - Tbl_Product

Using soft drinks as an example I am trying to create a form that allows me to select i.e Coca Cola from the category combobox, diet coke from Variety Combobox and then this is where i come unstuck. Basically i want to be able to select multiple drink sizes for the same Variety. Ie diet coke is available in 330ml, 500ml, 1L, 2L etc. I have these sizes in Tbl_Drinksize.

By doing the above the aim is then when i sell a product via an invoice and choose product it would read "diet coke-500ml" for example. I have read not to use multivalue fields so not really sure how to do this on a form and also then how to populate it back into a table.

Any help will be greatly received.

Cheers

Chris

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    do you mean to populate the base tables, or to populate an order?

For an Order, you would have a form with combo boxes.
    user picks Brand,
    the query for Variety looks at cboBrand to limit the choices.
    then when user picks Variety,
    the cboSize looks at cboBrand to limit its picks.
    etc...

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Tbl_Product should have a record for each combination of Brand, Variety, Size.

Then I presume you have something like Tbl_Order and Tbl_OrderDetails tables.

Tbl_OrderDetails form can have cascading comboboxes as described by ranman to aid selecting record from Tbl_Product but be aware they don't work nice with Continuous or Datasheet form. Cascading comboboxes require some code (VBA or macro).

A single combobox can be made to work with a RowSource that concatenates fields: SELECT ProdID, Brand & ", " & Variety & ", " & Size AS Product FROM Tbl_Product ORDER BY Brand, Variety, Size;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.