UT227 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Trying to get percentages

I'm trying to get percentages. I made a query to calculate race/ethnicity. There are only a few entries. I need to find out what the percentage of each are. In this example, there are 2 Asian and 3 Hispanic. I'm drawing a blank on how to come up with it. Any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raceperc1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	30341

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raceperc2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	30342

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can get complicated because you want to group race count by year and therefore calculate percentages by year I presume. Either need to do grouping by year and race OR group by race and apply filter on year to restrict the records considered.

Options:

1. I think simplest approach is to build a report and use its Sorting & Grouping features with aggregate calcs in textboxes - report allows display of detail info as well as summary data

2. first do an aggregate query that returns one record and value for the total number employees OR multiple records for year grouping. Then include single value query in a query with tblPublicContact without a JOIN clause or if mult-year records join on the year fields. No join or less precise join results in a Cartesian relationship, every record of each table is associated with every record of other table. Now do Aggregate data and calc percentage: Count(*)/First(CountEmp)*100. Can nest the first query within the second to create one SQL statement. Can use Access query builder to help construct. First build and save the inner query. Then build outer query that references the first query object. Switch to SQL view and copy/paste the SQL of the first query between parens in front of the first query name and add the AS word. Then can delete the first query object.

3. a DCount("*", "tblPublicContact") to return total number of employees in the race count query or DCount("*", "tblPublicContact", "ChkYear=" & [ChkYear])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

UT227 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    I was able to do it without the report. Nested a couple queries and did just that. Worked great. Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.