sowega.jake is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

report bidder # as bidder name

I have just about finished a small database for an auction that our brotherhood is having this weekend.
    I have a BIDDER table that I enter a BIDDER NUMBER and a BIDDER NAME

I have an ITEMS table that I enter the ITEM NUMBER, DESCRIPTION......... and during the auction I enter HIGH BID and BIDDER NUMBER
    I have a query (it queries by BIDDER NUMBER) that queries BIDDER NUMBER, ITEM NUMBER, HIGH BID and totals the High Bid Column
    I also have a report using the above query to be used at the end of the auction...... I run the report by BIDDER NUMBER and it reports the items that bidder won and the winning bid,,,, and totals the winning bid column.
    On this report I have a header that reads "TOTAL OF ITEMS WON BY: (BIDDER_NUMBER)" eg. TOTAL OF ITEMS WON BY: 1
    This report works perfect as shown above....... What I want rather than (BIDDER_NUMBER) TO BE DISPLAYED IS THE BIDDER'S NAME eg. TOTAL OF ITEMS WON BY: JOHN DOE

I've tried everything that I know (which is limited) but can not get it to display the bidder's name in place of the bidder number

any help appreciated

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I have a query ... that queries BIDDER NUMBER, ITEM NUMBER, HIGH BID and totals the High Bid Column
    Your bidder query needs to have the bidder name field from the bidder table, and a text box on the report to show it. Probably you don't need the bidder number to show on the report, and if so, I'd simply make it invisible rather than delete it from the report. Removing it may cause issues.
    Or are you asking how to create an expression in a text box that says "TOTAL OF ITEMS WON BY: JOHN DOE"?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

NO..... everything works but the "John Doe"
    I don't know how to get the Bidder's Name to show in the report

Micron.... I understand what you say "Your bidder query needs to have the bidder name field from the bidder table"...... but how will access know to return the proper bidder name to the bidder number that I enter for the query to start?
    Actually when I add the bidders table to my query and query the bidder_name field the query doesn't return anything

I surmise it looks like this
    BidderNo BidderName
    1 Jones
    2 Smith
    3 Brown

ItemNo Desc HighBid BidderNo
    55 120 1
    62 55 1
    75 180 3

You show both tables in the query. You equal join between tblBidder.BidderNo and tblItems.BidderNo
    You add BidderName, ItemNo, Desc, HighBid to the query design grid. You don't need BidderNo unless you're inputting the bidder number instead of the name when opening the query or report. If inputting BidderNo, then the query will return all the fields in all the records that satisfy the bidder number input. In the above data example, there should be 2 records for #1 (items 55 and 62) and show the name Jones.
    Last edited by Micron; 09-13-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Micron,
    Thanks for your generous help.....I tried and tried to edit my query as you described with no luck.... Finally before giving up I created a completely new query and report using your instructions above...... Right On.... It worked perfect; exactly what I wanted
    Thanks again for your help!!!

Glad you solved it. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.