MTSPEER is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Inventory Logging Design

Hello,

I have been assigned a project where multiple reps will be logging in their inventory and the time they have completed it. For example, I want the tool to auto assign the records to the reps, once the reps click the "Next Record" button it will be time stamped and then when they press "Save" the time will be saved. And I'm guessing I need the database to be split so all the reps get front end copies with one backend linked. The issue I am thinking about having is that I need the database to be refreshed constantly after any user time stamps or updates the database on the front end so that another user can see the update. How should I go about doing that? So the Admin can see how many are completed and at what times.

Thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    all you need do is, in the table design ,the SaveDate field you use,
    set the DEFAULT = NOW()

then it always sets the time to the moment they save the record. It ONLY saves for new records. If they modify the record , it does not change the time.
    This is what you wanted correct?
    (if you want edit time, then you will need code to update the SaveDate field)

I had an issue with default values in tables in past - when user canceled new record, records only with autonumber and date remained in table. So instead of default values in tables, I now prefer
    a) in case exact time (hh:mm:ss) must be registered, BeforeUpdate event sets value for hidden bound form control to current time;
    b) in case a current date must be registered, a default value for bound form control (may be hidden) is set to =NOW();

MTSPEER is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Okay thanks I will try that out and see how it goes. But is it going to refresh the backend immediately so that another user can see from another copy of the front end what was just saved?

Quote Originally Posted by MTSPEER View Post
    But is it going to refresh the backend immediately so that another user can see from another copy of the front end what was just saved?

Another user never sees change immediately - he must do something in his front-end that causes form(s)/control(s) to be refreshed/requeried.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.