Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lccrews is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Unhappy How do I show choices made from a form on a report?

I'm having trouble brainstorming an idea for how to do this: I have 12 questions on my form and each has (as of now) 15 combo boxes beneath for the user to select an option(s). I'd like to know if there's a better way to do this because I need the choice to show up on a report as well. I know that forms are interactive whereas reports are not. This is why I'm stumped. I've attached a slimmed down version of my db to show you what I'm talking about. Is there any idea for how to do this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Thats the harder way to program it.
    IF you have 12 questions, the form should have 12 combo boxes. 1 box for each question. The user picks the 1 answer from the combo.

unless its a multiple choice question, then I understand the multiple combo per question.
    Is this the case?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Correct. Each question has multiple choices. I've resolved to use a junction table, but I have no idea how to use one. So I'm reading up on that now. Any pointers?

June7 is online now VIP
    Use form/subform arrangement for data entry/edit.

Main form bound to 'questions' table and subform bound to 'junction' table with a combobox to select 'item'.

But I suspect the information provided is incomplete. This seems far too simple a structure for a practical database. You need to identify data entities and how they relate. Who are the 'users' you mention?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    instead of programming many results for 1 question,
    I have the selections as data. (not combos)
    1 question has 2 listboxs,
    lstSrc (items to pick from)
    lstAnswer (items picked)

its built as a parent/child form.
    user dbl-clicks all the items that they want. This runs an append query to add them to the tChild table. (indexed on the questionID)

this defeats the purpose of building combo boxes all day long for each question.
    Its is data driven, not program driven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick list names.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	30228

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't think I'm smart enough to do something that fancy. It looks like what I need though. Can the choices from that be displayed on a report as well?

June7 is online now VIP
    ranman's approach is another way to accomplish what data entry into a form/subform does. His suggestion just needs more code whereas a form/subform can be functional without a single line of code.

Regardless, need to get the data structure correct before thinking about how to interface with it.

And yes, data saved can be used to generate report.

Have you completed an introductory tutorial book to learn the basics of relational database principles, Access functionality, and programming concepts?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm still trying to create a junction table June7. I've created many to many relationships but I can't see what to do next. I'm still reading.

June7 is online now VIP
    How could you have many-to-many relationship defined if you do not have junction table? 3 tables are required.

What is not clear about the concept described in the referenced link?

What are your data entities?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have the 3 tables (tbl_rawmaterial, tbl_mbr, and tbl_jct_blending). tbl_jct... is the junction table. I have the relationships. I am not sure how to add this to my form where the user would start adding to it. Like I said, I'm still reading. lol I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have the 3 tables (tbl_rawmaterial, tbl_mbr, and tbl_jct_blending). tbl_jct... is the junction table. I have the relationships. I am not sure how to add this to my form where the user would start adding to it. Like I said, I'm still reading. lol I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

June7 is online now VIP
    Taking a guess here, but looks like main form would be bound to tbl_mbr and subform bound to tbl_jct_blending with a combobox to select item from tbl_rawmaterial.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    June7, Thanks for trying but I just can't wrap my head around this. Would this work?... have subform linked to tbl_jct_blending with [Question] [Item#] [Description].... Then use queries to separate out the questions when adding them to the report? Meaning qry_1_bl01 would be placed under bl01 on the report to show only table entries with bl01...

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't understand your data entities and how they relate so not sure how to answer that.

You have a table of a standard set of questions?

You have a table of a standard set of items?

You have a junction table that will associate questions with items?

Exactly what is purpose of this database?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.