Kkennedy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

No idea where to begin

Hi, i am trying to create a db to track and report on risk mgmt activities. I have a handful of divisions and each division has several offices. Each office has several funtions. Sometimes functions are eliminated, reassigned to other offices, and sometimes offices are reassigned to different divisions.

The controls of each function have to be evaluated at least every other year. Some are tested every odd year, some are tested every even year, and high risk functions are tested every year. I want to track the due date vs completion date.

As an example, the division of Admin consists of the office of Accounting, Contracts, Fleet Managemrnt, and Human Resources. Human Resources is responsible for the finctions Payroll Admin, Personnel Admin, Time & Attendance, and Training.

I want a record of when the function was added. Each year it must be reviewed for relevancy so i need to track that it was evaluated annually. I need to track whether it is due for testing on the even, odd, or every yr. I also need to track when the risk analysis, test plan, testing records are submitted, as well as any corrective action plan, its tentative vs actual date of completion.

Im not sure of the best way to start. I thought of using a template, but there would be so much customization that it may ge better to try to tackle creating a db from scratch.

We are a small group so i dont have to track employees. I've assigned a percent to each step towards completion (example, submitting a function eval is 15%). I will have other relatable tables, such as one that contains a list of policies and procedures that are relevant to each function and i will need to track the review of each of thrm as well. I have adobe fillable forms, created with livecycle, that each ofvice must complete. I extract data from the submissions and would like to store and analyze that data as well.

My main task, however, is trying to set the initial db up so i can navigate, track and report on compliance steps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Kkennedy; 09-02-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Typo

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You should find the info at this link helpful in planning and designing a database.

Kkennedy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you. Hopefully I can get on the right track.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.