Hendro623 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Split up tables or combine into one?

I have a database that is built and is being used by my company I work at. It's an employee database that is used as a directory to know each persons contact number as well as the building/shift they work, etc. The manager wants me to add in another option to the 'employee details' form, which is linked to my 'employee table', to include on another tab the following info for the specified person:

Card Access badge #
    Key #
    Excess keys (larger text box if they have multiple, whichmost people want)
    Facility PIN
    Arm/Disarm code
    Doors they have access too
    Locker #
    Lock #
    Lock combination

Problem is that some people may have multiple things in a few of these fields and he mentioned he may want reporting to pull specific information. ex. report to specify every person who has access to building A or how many keys does employee B have and to which buildings.

Just really need to know if it sounds like this type of information would need to be broken into multiple tables or if there is a way to gather this information if it were all added into the employees table.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	database.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	30026

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Looks like you need a table Keys and a related table for associated doors. And maybe a lookup table for Doors.

Don't understand ExcessKeys field.

Are these electronic key cards? Each key card has a different Arm/Disarm code? User inserts card into lock and then has to enter code onto keypad?

Advise no spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in any naming convention. Better would be ZIP_Postal_Code, Email_Address, BadgeNum
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Any data that you could have multiple values you need to make a separate table and include the ID field from Employee table so you can link it back there. Only exception is if you know for sure say you will only have 2 keys and never any more, you could just create 2 fields Key1 and Key2 in the main Employees table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.