Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chalupabatman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Sub Form Shows Empty Space At The End

Greetings!

I have a access query that is based off a table, that I am using as a record source for a sub-form. I can set this up no problem, but my issue comes to play with the navigation.

For the life of me, I am unable to uncover how to:
    1) Remove the empty white columns at the end of my dataset in the subform

2) have the sub form span the entire width of the parent form with no scroll-bar (right or left) -- the data being returned by the subform is small enough to fit.

I have attached a sample database so people can see what my issue is.

How can settings be changed to remedy this?Database1.zip

Now let me add, my issue comes into play when you open my main form, not the sub-form.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why are you using a subform at all? Your data structure does not need one, as you only have one table. A Form-Subform arrangement is (usually) used when you have two or more related tables. Just put everything on the main form.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    That's the nature of subform in Datasheet view when the width is not enough to display all fields without horizontal scroll.

I agree with John, binding the two forms to same data doesn't make sense.

If you don't like the appearance of standalone form in Datasheet view, use Continuous view and arrange controls to appear as datasheet. Or maybe you should look at Navigation form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

@June_7, @JohnG

My reasoning behind setting it up as so is because I want the data from the query to be displayed in a "grid" view - which is why I used a subform, and on the main form I will need to add some header information, and a few navigation button to print/back/export to excel

I have never used a navigation form before - I will google that and see if it will work for what I am after, thank you both for the advice.

June7 is offline VIP
    Fine, but there is no reason for the main form to be bound to data.

Continuous view can look like a grid and you get to use header section.

Forms are intended for screen display, reports are intended for printing. Each can be made to somewhat act like the other, but not optimal.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

When you say continuous view - do you mean setting the Default View of the Form to Continous Forms?

I have tried that option, but the way the data displays (by default, may need massaging to make it work) is that all of the data is on top of each other, I am after a more "Excel" style look where all the data is on one row, side by side?

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Fine, but there is no reason for the main form to be bound to data.

Continuous view can look like a grid and you get to use header section.

Forms are intended for screen display, reports are intended for printing. Each can be made to somewhat act like the other, but not optimal.
    Even if I only open the sub form in datasheet view there are the empty white columns at the end of the data. How can those be removed so only data is shown?

EDIT ->
    I created a multiple items form, and seems to be the closest to what I am after to this point, however since the column title information is contained in the header, I do not see a good way of adding in the buttons I am afte.r

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, DefaultView property set to Continuous, rearrange controls.

Did you let the wizard build form?

You don't like buttons above the labels?

Yes, DefaultView property set to Continuous, rearrange controls.

Did you let the wizard build form?

You don't like buttons above the labels?
    I just used the wizard to create the form in datasheet view, and I still have the blank columns at the end?

June7 is offline VIP
    Do you still have the db set for Tabbed Documents? I always change to Overlapping Windows. I never use the build wizards.

Do you still have the db set for Tabbed Documents? I always change to Overlapping Windows. I never use the build wizards.
    Where would I change this option? Hmm...i typically allow the wizard to create for me just for speed.

June7 is offline VIP
    File > Options > Current Database > Application Options > make choices

Wizard does things I don't like such as grouping controls.

I changed to overlapping documents and manually created the form, and I still have un-neccessary white space at the end.

June7 is offline VIP
    It's tricky. Have to size the columns and form so the horizontal scrollbar is not needed. Close the Datasheet form and it should reopen with the same setup. Set the BorderStyle to something other than Sizable so users can't drag the edges and expose the blanks.

I can understand preference for a datasheet subform on a main form. I have one form with that setup. I also tried Continuous view but didn't like the way the record scrollbar worked. Lot's of buttons on the main form and the scrollbar extended up into the header area which is quite large on this form. However, the main form is UNBOUND.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Even if I only open the sub form in datasheet view there are the empty white columns at the end of the data. How can those be removed so only data is shown?
    I cannot replicate that behaviour. Can you post a screenshot of those "empty white columns"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.