Gsteel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Question about an Inventory Database

Hi,

I am tasked with working up a concept for a new inventory database. Our inventory in/out rate is about 3 items per day from about 6000 items (replacement parts to maintain our machinery). I have built a table and record with the fields desired. What I would like to know is: what needs to be done so that items going in or out can have a barcode scanned, their entry looked up, and their quantity adjusted up or down? I realize I can scan to a blank worksheet then manually update the database. But I prefer to eliminate as much human intervention as possible...ideally scan-update, scan-update. I don't need step by step directions just a road map as to what is involved. I realize I'll have to learn Access, VBA, Macros, etc. But I just need to present a feasible concept in 2 weeks that can be implemented in 6 - 12 months. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

G Steel

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I would have a frmScan form,
    barcode
    Qty
    in or out

click IN button or OUT button
    scan ,fills in txtbox
    default qty = 1
    enter key

runs query to add/subtract from the tInventory Qty

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Might take a look at Microsoft Product Inventory template database. In Access 2013 I can download it from File > New > Business > select database from 3rd row

Quantity should not be 'adjusted', it should be calculated from transaction records. I haven't looked at the template so hopefully it does that.

Another reference http://allenbrowne.com/AppInventory.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Gsteel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thank you both. Whether the qty is adjusted or calculated misses the point. The transaction record I envision is a stub (with barcode) rom the inventory tag attached to the item that is torn off when it the item is picked and dropped in a "shoebox". Once a week or so the warehouse clerk will bring all the collected stubs to his desk and scan them in. I would like that to be all he has to do. Open database, choose in or out, scan stubs. I will certainly look at the template suggested. Thanks again.

G steel

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.