blueman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Retrieving tables from sharepoint list for use by an outside db programmer

So I have a fairly complex database that I've built myself for my business with the backend on sharepoint. It's been working very well but I've added a few things over the past few years, mostly on the frontend but I think I made some changes directly to the sharepoint lists also.

Now I have some functionality that I need added to database that's going to involve heavier coding than I feel comfortable with and I don't have the time that would be involved in mastering it to get these new functions right. My plan is to turn it over to a freelancer to add this new functionality. However, I don't really want to give him all the data or access to the sharepoint site. So what I would like to have happen would be to create a dummy version (basically a copy) of the db and get the sharepoint lists back into this dummy database as tables. I do know where to go to import my existing db into the new dummy copy. However:
    • When I import, do I select definition only?
      • Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	29864

• also, there are many tables where I want all the data, for example tblProductName. But there many are other tables, like tblCustomers and tblOrders where I would prefer to not have the data and just insert some dummy data or retain only a handful of records where I can make changes to those few records so that the freelancer has some data to use on figuring out what to do to create what I need.
    • also, of course, the tables that are created from the sharepoint list would have to retain all the relationships that exist now.

If someone could give me a good plan of attack for accomplishing this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Using Access 2013

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    not sure if you have found a solution but definition only imports an empty table, autonumbers will restart from 1, all indexes etc will be in place as will relationships (if ticked and tables on both sides of the relationship are imported).

you can do two imports - the first for those tables where you want to retain the data and second for those you don't. Alternatively import everything, then delete what you don't need

blueman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Thanks. That helps. I think I have what I need

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.