connorwilliamsm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Trouble understanding the logic behind database structure

I am new to Access, and I have been having trouble setting up my database. I am trying to make a database to track Job, order, and material information for a relatively small business. The general idea of what I want to be able to track is, "PM ordered (part #s) from (supplier) on (order date)." Then I want to be able to track when we received the parts and put them on our shelves, "(part #s) received on (date), checked in by (employee), placed in (part location)." And finally, to track when those parts are used, "(part#s) used/taken on (date) by (employee) for (job #)."

Here is a picture of my "relationships" diagram to show what I have so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	databasedesign.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	29846
    I would have to make tables that include fields for a material check in and a material pull out right? I am just a little lost at this point. Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    IMHO, manufacturing (assembly) type of database is one of the more complicated to build. It has been discussed numerous times in forum.

PurchaseOrderItems is the material in data. Now to track parts used for a job work order. Do you really need to tie purchase orders to Jobs? Or just have a JobParts table that draws from parts inventory.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

connorwilliamsm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    IMHO, manufacturing (assembly) type of database is one of the more complicated to build. It has been discussed numerous times in forum.

PurchaseOrderItems is the material in data. Now to track parts used for a job work order. Do you really need to tie purchase orders to Jobs? Or just have a JobParts table that draws from parts inventory.
    My original thought was to be able to run queries where I could request a list of jobs that used a certain part number. Also to be able to request a list of parts that have already been ordered for a specific job. I guess that is why I tied jobs to POs.. but like I said, I am new to Access and not really sure the correct way to go about it.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    where I could request a list of jobs that used a certain part number
    If tblParts is akin to inventory, it doesn't belong with tblJobs. Inventory is one entity, jobs are another. To query like this would require tblJobParts where JobID 456 shows up 10x if it requires 10 parts. You would index these fields as a pair so that the same JobId and part number cannot appear more than once - provided you are not trying to break out parts on a per task basis (e.g. qty 10 of 5874 required for one phase, but 20 more for another phase. In that case, the parts become related to the task, not the job. You can relate the PartID to the inventory table to see if the quantity in stock is sufficient, as well as query "backwards" through tblJobParts for a list of jobs related to a part id.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    As june said Inventory/stock control is not trivial.
    Here is some info re database design and planning that may help with concepts.

You may get some ideas from this youtube video

Make a model and test it before getting too deep into physical database.
    Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.