Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Good first attempt!

Some comments:
    1) db.zip is unrecognized database format
    2) I have disregarded your forms (a) your table structure isn't finished (b) the forms are untested
    3) I suggest that you reread the advice given to you from around post #73 and on

sud2017 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for your feedback. I will be revisiting my structure and will post an updated db soon. Thank you all for your support with my project.

Hi Experts,

After reading thru comments and articles provided by Aytee111, Ssanfu and Micron, I have updated my table design/structure and hoping it has some improvement over the last one, if its not completely right. I have added another UNIQUE field in few of my tables for JobNo, OppNo, QuoteNo, PartNo and CustNo and have kept the PKs meaningless (as Autonumbers) in the corresponding tables, for many reasons stated in the articles. One thing I was wondering is why the PKs in different tables have random numbering sequence (doesn't start with 1), I hope that's not a problem? I also tried to follow the Normalization practices to remove redundancy to best extent possible and establish required links, but not sure how far I am successful, as I said, I am learning thru' the process. I would greatly appreciate your help to finalize my table structure in the right way, to be able to move on to next step in my project. Many thanks for taking the time to support me. Please see attached db.
    Attached Files Attached Files

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Looking good! Still that one field missing, lol. OK, I'll give you a clue, it is on the Items table.

In table design, as you click on each field, the properties are shown beneath. These need to be filled in for each and every field. You need to know exactly WHAT the field is going to contain, all the possible values, and make sure the field is defined just for that; also exactly HOW the field is going to be used.

Don't touch anything that has to do with the visual display of the field, such as formatting, lookups, etc. or things that will be handled during form entry. Your responsibility is data, to ensure that the table holds the right data at the right time and that nothing can be stored that disobeys your requirements.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Have you taken your latest data model and some test data and some "test scenarios" to validate your model?
    I would not be building forms yet. Not until the model passes your testing/validation. As Steve said earlier you'll save a lot of frustration, head banging and rework to get you design set up and tested to meet your business needs if the model is correct.
    You can do this with your pencil and paper approach.

Here's an approach that may help.

Good luck.

Thank god I only have 1 field left now. I will try to fix this field and the field properties tonight and repost my db. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    Looking good! Still that one field missing, lol. OK, I'll give you a clue, it is on the Items table.

In table design, as you click on each field, the properties are shown beneath. These need to be filled in for each and every field. You need to know exactly WHAT the field is going to contain, all the possible values, and make sure the field is defined just for that; also exactly HOW the field is going to be used.

Don't touch anything that has to do with the visual display of the field, such as formatting, lookups, etc. or things that will be handled during form entry. Your responsibility is data, to ensure that the table holds the right data at the right time and that nothing can be stored that disobeys your requirements.

Thanks very much Orange. This seems a crucial phase in db design. I am googling for some articles to better understand the approach and find examples of test scenarios, as this is the first time I'm doing it.

I believe I should come up with a comprehensive list (in pencil and paper) of test scenarios that covers everything that might break my database. I'll be back with progress/question soon.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Have you taken your latest data model and some test data and some "test scenarios" to validate your model?
    I would not be building forms yet. Not until the model passes your testing/validation. As Steve said earlier you'll save a lot of frustration, head banging and rework to get you design set up and tested to meet your business needs if the model is correct.
    You can do this with your pencil and paper approach.

Here's an approach that may help.

Good luck.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I am googling for some articles to better understand the approach
    If this means normalization, try these
    Normalization Parts I, II, III, IV, and V
    http://rogersaccessblog.blogspot.ca/...on-part-i.html
    and/or
    http://holowczak.com/database-normalization/

The key point to understand is that a table is akin to an entity. Fields are attributes of the entity. It is your task to define these and design accordingly.
    Last edited by Micron; 08-17-2017 at 01:01 PM. Reason: grammar

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Thank you Micron and Orange for such useful articles.

Thank you Aytee111, Ssanfu, Davegri for your support regarding table structure. Special thanks to Aytee111 for your time which is greatly appreciated and helped me get this far. Now, I am determined to complete my project, come what may

I am closing this thread as my questions are unrelated to thread topic now. Will start new thread with other questions. Big thanks to Access Forum. In resolving my original thread question, I learned much more

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Welcome, and good luck going forward!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.