Doncow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Need Help with Relationships

I really need help. I have taken a template and tried to make it work for me by making some changes. Well, I cannot get the relationships to create the subforms I want. What am I doing wrong.

Here's the relationships page.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	29790

But it doesn't show up on my customer's list. When I pull up the customer list, the individuals are not listed there. When I add the individuals into the as a subform into the customer form, it did not pull up only those that were with that company.

What am I doing wrong?

HELP!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    is your subform control linkchild/master properties completed? They are what are used to represent the relationship.

Not related to your issue, but also recommend you give your ID field meaningful names, as you have for the individuals table.

And suggest lose the spaces and non alphanumeric characters from your field names - use the caption property. It will make your life a lot easier as your project develops

Doncow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Okay, I am new at this so I don't know what you mean by completed link child/master. I linked it in relationships, but . . . I did put the number of the ID for the Customer in the child form, but it doesn't show up properly. And what do you mean about a field name that is meaningful? HELP!

Thanks so much for your quick reply.
    Last edited by Doncow; 08-04-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: To get a response.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't know what you mean by completed link child/master
    I'm assuming you are developing in standard access and not the soon to be defunct wep app.

Every form control has properties. There are some properties that apply to all controls such a name, size and position. They can be see by either selecting properties from the ribbon or right clicking on a control and selecting properties from there. Once the properties window is open you can select all the object from the dropdown in the properties window.

Find the properties for your subform, then click on the data tab and you will see the linkchild/master properties there.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    And what do you mean about a field name that is meaningful?
    As I suggested you have used to identify your primary key in your customerindividuals table. ID tells you it is an ID, but when you have a number of tables in a query, you then need to specify which ID you mean. Personally I prefer to use a suffix of PK for parent table and FK for child table which then tells me which side of a relationship the field exists.

meaningful just means meaningful to you - define a convention and stick to it - google 'naming conventions' to find out more. Other than sticking to a convention that makes senses to you (and others if others are or will be involved in the development/support) there are no hard and fast rules.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.