natimus is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question How to keep your DB protected in 2016 with no more user groups

Hello all,

I'm building a small DB App (basically a contact DB) I have used older versions of Access, which had User Group and Permissions. I'm it appears that 2016 no longer has this. So, what do you guys do? Do they appear if I save as .mdb (older version). Should I by looking to a new platform like FileMaker? Is there a 3rd party tool or workaround?

THanks!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    2016 will respect the user groups/permission already set up in a 2003 mdb being running in a 2016 environment, but you won't have the tools to modify groups/users etc. from 2016, you'll need 2003 access.

workaround it to write your own login routines - plenty of examples on this and other forums. Or you could migrate the backend to sql server express for improved data security, but it is not the same as user groups. All depends on what you are trying to make secure.

No idea about the security available from filemaker.

natimus is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    2016 will respect the user groups/permission already set up in a 2003 mdb being running in a 2016 environment, but you won't have the tools to modify groups/users etc. from 2016, you'll need 2003 access.

workaround it to write your own login routines - plenty of examples on this and other forums. Or you could migrate the backend to sql server express for improved data security, but it is not the same as user groups. All depends on what you are trying to make secure.

No idea about the security available from filemaker.
    Thanks, was thinking I was going to have to find something else. Not sure why they removed the Users/Permissions - that was a very useful feature. I don't want to have to sift through a bunch of how-tos & trial and error workarounds just to setup simple user privs that should take 5min to do.

Appreciate the response though!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I don't want to have to sift through a bunch of how-tos & trial and error workarounds just to setup simple user privs that should take 5min to do.
    Define your security policy first - what you want to protect, from whom, using what methods and from doing what. Then you can go find an appropriate solution. And that will almost certainly be 10 times quicker than a total rewrite of your app.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.