markcrobinson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Where are the Wizards when I drop a checkbox?

Just moved to 2016 from an older version.
    I used to drop an element, like a checkbox or button, on the form and a wizard would come up to finish the code. Not happening now. Is there a switch I need to set or something to enable these?

To be clear, when I drop a button on the form, the wizard comes up and asks me what I want the button to do. When I drop a checkox, the old version of Access used to come with a wizard... now it doesn't. How can I turn this back on?

Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Using Access2010. Get the same behavior, no wizard with checkbox. Same as with a textbox. Are you sure checkbox had a wizard? I don't remember ever seeing one. Why would you need a wizard for checkbox any more than for a textbox?
    Last edited by June7; 07-21-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    do you mean an option control? that has the option of using checkboxes and has a wizard

amykay is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are you trying to add the button to a subform? For some reason, Access 2016 will no longer add a button to a subform and have the wizard run, not even when you turn on the wizard option. I'm not sure why Microsoft removed this feature for the 2016 version. An Udemy instructor showed how to work around this in Access 2016: In design view, add the button to the main form, let the wizard come up and finish the code. After you have finished this, while still in design mode, use cut and paste to move the button from the main form to the subform. Don't try to drag the new button to the subform. The button will simply disappear.

That's a bit cumbersome, but it's faster than typing in the whole macro.

Did that help?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    A button, combo box, subform control and list box invoke the wizard if you have "Use Control Wizards" option selected on the Ribbon (design view, controls tab) in 2007. Probably exists in 2016 but I can't say. Look on the ribbon or in Access Help.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    A button, combo box, subform control and list box invoke the wizard if you have "Use Control Wizards" option selected on the Ribbon (design view, controls tab) in 2007. Probably exists in 2016 but I can't say. Look on the ribbon or in Access Help. In 2007 version, a checkbox doesn't raise a wizard. Nor does a radio button. There are others that also do not.
    Last edited by Micron; 07-22-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I've been using Access since v2000 and don't remember Checkboxes ever being associated with a Wizard. What, exactly, would you expect a Wizard to do, for this type of Control?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

amykay is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's in Design view on the Design tab, right? On 2016, the wizard doesn't come up for checkboxes. If you want to add a command button, go to design view, click on the Design tab, insert the button onto the MAIN form (not the subform). The wizard should come up. Run the wizard. When you are finished, cut and paste (don't drag) the button into the subform. The checkbox doesn't bring up a wizard. When you look at it in form view, you can click the checkbox on and off. Just use the property sheet on the check box if you want to format the checkbox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I think the OP has gone away. Nearly a week and not even a postcard

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Nearly a week and not even a postcard
    I wonder if we'll get a tee shirt when he comes back?
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.