deliaraz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Combobox Auto Populate wont work on copied database or in MS Access 2016

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did search for an answer and it seems there are similar questions to mine but nothing exactly like mine.

Over a year ago I learned how to create a combobox that would automatically fill a text box based on a selection. I spent several days at work following tutorials and none worked but I'm determined and I spent my weekend working on this database at home and the combo box worked immediately. I was thrilled! I copied the file to a thumb-drive and brought it to work and the darn thing didn't work I finally realized that I had MS Access 2013 at home and 2016 at work so I removed 2016 at work and installed 2013 and for a year everything worked as it should.

Recently, we've been pushed to upgrade to MS Office 365 which contains 2016 and again this became an issue with my combo box. I currently have both 2013 and 2016 and my database works fine in 2013 even though I also have 2016 installed. I have run into an issue that I can't seem to figure out.

We recently started a new fiscal year so I created a duplicate database and removed all the table data in order to start a new file but my combo box wont auto populate anymore, not even in 2013. The ORIGINAL database still works in 2013 but none of the copies I make work. I've spent so much time trying to figure this out and I am lost. I have tried removing the combo and text box and recreating the event and NOTHING! The only way I can get the combo box to auto populate is by starting a new file and doing everything from scratch. I tried checking the ANSI92 boxes, copying and pasting the whole file, saving the file using saving as but none of the combo boxes work in any of the copies.

Here's what I have under the event, after change:
    Private Sub cboTraveler_Change()
    Me.txtEID.Value = Me.cboTraveler.Column(1)
    End Sub

It works in the ORIGINAL database created using 2013Does not work in any 2013 original database COPIES
    Does not work in 2016 at all

I have not been able to make ANY combo box work in 2016

Than you!!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Is the code still there? Sometimes code gets deleted.
    i upgrade many times and the code works in all.

sometimes the vb and macros gets turned off. The user must turn macros on.

As far as using 2016, I cant get the combo box to populate even if I create a file from scratch.

Where would I look to see if the code was deleted? I'm not very savvy with Access, everything I've done has been by following tutorials but the truth is I have very little knowledge on how it all works in the background. I find a video that shows how to do what I need done and BAM, it works but no understanding as to HOW it works

Looks like I finally found a solution and it works with MS Access 2016 too!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 07-19-17 at 07.19 PM.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	29543

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Wow, I've never seen that method.
    thx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.