AccessForumUser is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Help in exporting combo box results

Hello, I am wondering how I can take two combo box results and display them in another form, OR somehow combine two forms into one. I would like to have the combo boxes included in my main form is where i'm going with this. currently they are in another form outside my main form.

I have basically done what this video has shown me, and the combo boxes have worked perfectly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljoKaS6M9Q

My problem is that I would like to take those combo boxes and include them in my main form, record the results along with a bunch of other inputs and checkmark boxes. I'm facing the problem of having my main form as a PK to record entries, and my combo box form also has PK assigned..

Both forms have PK's associated to them..
    I'm not sure which path is needed to accomplish this. my thoughts are:
    1. drag and drop the combo box form into my main form, resize it, and clean it up so it's consistent with my other input entries, not ideal, but just my thoughts..
    2. open the combo box form and drag and drop the two entry fields from that form into my main form to make it consistent with the rest of the entries?
    3. try to remake the combo boxes into my main form.. might be easiest.. not sure. just don't want to mess up my main form

Problems i see..
    I don't know where to start with taking the results from the combo boxes and adding them into my main form.. is it a control source option?

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas, let me know.. This doesn't sound complicated to me, but I just don't have enough experience with access to figure out the right steps to take..

Thanks!

andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Could you pass the combobox results using openargs?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    It depends on the main form record source. The combo boxes ROW source should be the same... are the combo boxes CONTROL source in the main form record source?
    You would/might also have to copy/paste the code attached to the combo boxes.

Consider attaching your dB for analysis.......

Here's the DB.. I'm making a very simple database to basically track cell phones by make and model. I have only populated Apple phones, and one Samsung to test with..
    I would like to have one form with the drop down cascade boxes to record the results.

Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Main form is bound to main table, each object on the main form that comes from this table will have its Control Source property set to the field that is on the main table. Each combobox will have a row source coming from its table with the control source set to the field name on the main table (model is missing).

PK's belong to tables, not to forms.

You can copy and paste the two comboboxes on to the main form as they are both working the way you want, just add the control source.

I don't like the way the video designs the cascading combo boxes.

Play with this example - see if this is close....
    Attached Files Attached Files

ssanfu, I can't thank you enough for this. I really appreciate the time you spent tweaking this for me. This is exactly what I was working towards..
    I would like to also thank everyone else who contributed to this post! I've tweaked my database based on your suggestions and comments.
    keep up the good work, there's no way I could have done this myself. great community, thanks again!

You are welcome. Sometimes it is easier (at least for me) to be able to tear apart an example and learn from it.

Would you consider this solved? If so, see the top header "How to Mark a Thread Solved".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.