CaliberGX is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Question on Form creation

After finishing my previous step now I have a query of how is best to structure the data and create a form.

I can structure the date in the below two ways.

1st Way

ID (PK) Initials (FK) Product Type Score Comments

2nd Way

ID (PK) Initials (FK) Product1 Score Comments Product2 Score Comments

I know for sure that there will be only 4 kinds of products and they will never increase. The thing is if I use the first way I do not know how I would structure the Form so that it would show all 4 products and have bound fields to fill in their score and the comment. Any ideas on how I should structure it ?

Thank you for your help in advance.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    A lot depends on the purpose of the form. Is it for display only or will there be changes to the data? Never predict the future!!! How many systems have we worked on where the user says that but then changes their minds? Unless this database is a one-off and itself will be defunct in a month's time.

The second method would not work for data changes and would be a crosstab query shown in datasheet view on the form. The first is way more flexible and you can show the data singly, on continuous form or in datasheet view. Plus changes can be made to the data in the first method.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    The thing is that I am sure there will be no changes in that table ever. I know the first method is the best to use. But if I use that method how will I create the form. The form will be used for Data Inputting.

But I think I got an Idea. I can make a continuous subform on my main form which will link the FK with the PK of my main form and then I will have a value list for the Product Type that will have a list of the products. Is it possible to add some sort of way so that each product type is used once only ?

That is a good way of doing it.

What do you mean "used only once"? Is this on the table that is the record source of the subform, or the record source of the main form? Maybe it would help if you add a bit of an explanation of your process.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    I will have a value list with the 4 set values of the products they will need to choose. I want to make it so that they have to choose all 4 of them in the continuous form and choose only one time each of those products.

Manually add the 4 records to the table and then never allow them to add another. If they do need to add another in the future they can add it manually.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks a lot after trial and error I managed to do it as you said above ! thanks a lot

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.