cjmcneil is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Lightbulb Search box in forms in asset tracking template

Hi everyone and thankyou for any advice in advance!

Im using the asset tracking template in access 2013 for my first foray into database design.

I'm looking at producing a fairly simple vehicle registry for my work which can include vehicle names, registration numbers, radio numbers etc.

I've added some additional fields in my assets table to include data not included in the original template fields (eg registration numbers).

When I go to forms the template has an included search text box. However the controls that are generated from using this search box do not include any of the new fields I have added in my table. I'm assuming this is a controlsource issue that I've missed but I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm also not sure whether I should create a new calculated text field/expression builder etc in my table to use as a possible solution for the searching issue either.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be awesome as I'm sure I'm missing a fairly simple solution here.

Thanks,

Chris

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Using a template may give you a great starting point for a physical database. However, if the template does not match your requirements and requires modification, then you would/should make such modifications using proven database techniques. New requirements could involve new tables, and new tables could mean new relationships, so you should be aware of Normalization.

Here is a link with info for database design and planning. It is important to get your tables and relationships designed and tested to meet your needs before getting too deep into physical Access.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.