Khalil Handal is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2003

Update a field based on a value of another field

Hi,

I have a table with the following fields: ID, Computer, FamilyName, FirstName
    I added a new field named AuthorRank to the table and I want to update the values of this field as follows:
    If FamilyName or FirstName is not null then AuthorRank="P"

What should I write in the criteria to do this?

Khalil

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why bother even having this field in table? That value can be calculated when needed in query or textbox. It is usually a bad design to store values dependent on other data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2003
    Hi,
    I am migrating an old flat database to a new relational database.
    I will have a tblAuthors that has all the authors, another table tblBooks that has the other information.
    I am having a third table tblBooksAuthors - a junction table - that has a field AuthorRank. This field should indicate if the name is for a main author OR a Coauthor.
    I already have to different tables one for all main authors and a second table for all co authors. In each of these table I have a field which is actually the primary key of tblBooks.
    This AuthorRank field is a new field in the new database and does not exist in the old design.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I already have to different tables one for all main authors and a second table for all co authors.
    This doesn't sound correct. Should have 1 table with a field to indicate main author/co author.

In each of these table I have a field which is actually the primary key of tblBooks.
    I would expect to have the Author PK field as a FK in junction table "tblBooksAuthors".

Windows 10 Access 2003
    Hi,
    I added the AuthorRank field values in each table and then use a Union query and I obtained what I want.
    Yes, the Author pk field is the fk in the junction table.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You say you have tblAuthors then you say you have two tables for authors. I am confused. Why these two tables and why do they have key for tblBooks? tblBooksAuthors is the junction table to associate authors and books.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.