Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rickochezz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Crosstab Query within another query producing blank result

Attempting to produce a form that displays Attendance record for a course that is six days long (day1 - day6)

When I hard code the SerialID to 277 I get the desired result

SELECT qryAttendance_Crosstab.StudentCourseID, Course.CourseID, Course.Course, Serial.SerialID, Serial.Serial, Student.StudentID, IIf(IsNull([Student]![ProperFirstName]),StrConv([Student]![FirstNames],3),[Student]![ProperFirstName]) & " " & IIf(IsNull([Student]![ProperLastName]),StrConv([Student]![LastName],3),[Student]![ProperLastName]) AS Name, qryAttendance_Crosstab.[1], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[2], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[3], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[4], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[5], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[6], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[Total Of Hours], StudentCourse.CourseStatus
    FROM Student INNER JOIN (Course INNER JOIN ((qryAttendance_Crosstab INNER JOIN StudentCourse ON qryAttendance_Crosstab.StudentCourseID = StudentCourse.StudentCourseID) INNER JOIN Serial ON StudentCourse.SerialID = Serial.SerialID) ON Course.CourseID = StudentCourse.CourseID) ON Student.StudentID = StudentCourse.StudentID
    WHERE (((Serial.SerialID)=277) AND ((StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Registered" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="In Progress" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Completed" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Exam" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Course"))
    ORDER BY Student.LastName, Student.FirstNames;

But when I attempt to bring this value from a drop down menu at the top of the page I get a blank form - (I even added the Parameters section)

PARAMETERS [Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboSerial] Long;
    SELECT qryAttendance_Crosstab.StudentCourseID, Course.CourseID, Course.Course, Serial.SerialID, Serial.Serial, Student.StudentID, IIf(IsNull([Student]![ProperFirstName]),StrConv([Student]![FirstNames],3),[Student]![ProperFirstName]) & " " & IIf(IsNull([Student]![ProperLastName]),StrConv([Student]![LastName],3),[Student]![ProperLastName]) AS Name, qryAttendance_Crosstab.[1], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[2], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[3], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[4], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[5], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[6], qryAttendance_Crosstab.[Total Of Hours], StudentCourse.CourseStatus
    FROM Student INNER JOIN (Course INNER JOIN ((qryAttendance_Crosstab INNER JOIN StudentCourse ON qryAttendance_Crosstab.StudentCourseID = StudentCourse.StudentCourseID) INNER JOIN Serial ON StudentCourse.SerialID = Serial.SerialID) ON Course.CourseID = StudentCourse.CourseID) ON Student.StudentID = StudentCourse.StudentID
    WHERE (((Serial.SerialID)=[Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboSerial]) AND ((StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Registered" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="In Progress" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Completed" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Exam" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Course"))
    ORDER BY Student.LastName, Student.FirstNames;

Any ideas would be most generously received as I have struggled with this for quite some time now

Rick

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it could be the issue is with your cboSerial control.

What is the rowsource?
    What is the bound column?

Here is the SQL statement from cboSerial

SELECT Serial.SerialID, Serial.Year, Serial.Serial, Course.Course, IIf(([StartDate]-Date())+13>=0,(100000-([StartDate]-Date())-13),(10000-([StartDate]-Date())-13)) AS Daycalc
    FROM Course INNER JOIN Serial ON Course.CourseID = Serial.CourseID
    WHERE (((Serial.Year)=[Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboYear]) AND ((Course.Course)=[Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboCourse]))
    ORDER BY IIf(([StartDate]-Date())+13>=0,(100000-([StartDate]-Date())-13),(10000-([StartDate]-Date())-13)) DESC;

CJ_London is offline VIP
    and the bound column is?

And just to confirm the data, if you open the rowsource as a query, can you see 277 in the first column?

Also you seem to have tables with fields the same name as the table - it may or may not be the reason, but it will probably cause issues down the line if you don't change either the table or the field name. And Year is a reserved word which also will cause you problems at some point. If it is because of how you want form labels to be populated, use the field caption property, that is what it is for.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    you can also simplify your sql

change this

((StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Registered" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="In Progress" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Completed" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Exam" Or (StudentCourse.CourseStatus)="Failed Course"))

to

((StudentCourse.CourseStatus) IN ("Registered","In Progress" ,"Completed" ,"Failed Exam" ,"Failed Course"))

Thanks for the pointers - will make those changes

Bound Column = 1

Took screenshot of drop down menu with all columns displayed if that helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	29395

CJ_London is offline VIP
    too small to read, but I'm guessing there are 5 columns and the row you have highlighted has 277 in the first column

So next questions - where is the sql? in a query? the form recordsource? a subform recordsource?

Are you just opening the query manually? or what VBA code are you using to refresh the query? And where is the code? the combo afterupdate event? a button click event? somewhere else?

It's gone 2am here, so now signing off, do respond, someone else may take up the cause, Or I'll respond when I'm back on line

Thanks for everything this far as I am always learning

Take a look and see if you can find the problem - It has been stripped down but is still too large to attach

Start by opening frmMenuMSGTP and then the Attendance Button which will populate the combo boxes with the correct values - it is currently loaded with "277" in the query so that you can see what it should look like when it works
    When I put in [Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboSerial] I get the blank screen
    Last edited by Rickochezz; 07-13-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: link removed

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Doesn't seem to be anything in there except for a compact errors table. You can't post a copy here even after compacting, then zipping a copy? Zipping is the only way to get the size small enough in about 95% of the cases here (OK, that's a guess).

All I can see that is suspect is this:
    your query suggests the form to be referenced is [Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboYear], yet your last post suggests it is frmMenuMSGTP.
    So my conclusion is that either you are referencing the wrong form, or the correct form but it is not open, or I'm not understanding the clues.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Try this zipped version and see if that helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    the problem is not with the query but your requery in cboSerial afterupdate event. Not sure why because it should rerun the query on which the form is based. It might have something to do with also having embedded macros in the form, but I don't see why this would be the case, but the only oddity I can see. If you have the attendance form open, select aa serial then open qryAttendance, it shows the right data - it just isn't being reflected in the form. As I say, I don't know why.

Changing it to

Me.RecordSource = Me.RecordSource

works as a fix

don't forget to put [Forms]![frmAttendance]![cboSerial] back into your criteria

Or remove the criteria and in the cboSerial afterupdate event put
    Me.Filter = "SerialID=" & cboSerial
    Me.FilterOn = True

which also works

AJax:

I really appreciate when people take time out of their days to assist me and better yet when I can actually understand what is being asked and I can get the problem solved.

I would also like to thank you for all the other pointers that you supplied me with.

Cheers.

Rick

Unfortunately - everything works as I was wanting

The reason that I am saying unfortunately is that I am not able to edit any of the info. I'm thinking that it has to do with a crosstab query.
    Any ideas on how I can get around this. As always any advice is welcome.

Thanks again all

CJ_London is offline VIP
    ah - you didn't say about editing a crosstab.

Crosstabs are not intended to be edited, but you can find a solution on this thread which may meet your needs

https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...light=crosstab

start around post#6 - read the lot before jumping in because the OP asked questions which needed clarifying.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickochezz View Post
    Unfortunately - everything works as I was wanting
    The reason that I am saying unfortunately is that I am not able to edit any of the info. I'm thinking that it has to do with a crosstab query.
    Any ideas on how I can get around this. As always any advice is welcome.
    Thanks again all
    I don't get it. When I use the forms! reference in the attendance query, I get varying results based on the serial combo. Most produce a result, but a few don't. That would mean those serial values have no associated records. However, all the controls in the detail section have value lists for data - thus none of them are bound to the fields that you've specified as the record source for the form. If those controls have value lists as their data source, there's no way they're going to be updatable.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.