NikoTheBowHunter is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Securing back end, how should it be done?

I have a split database that I will be sharing with a group of people. I need to save the backend of the database on a server everyone has access to. How would I go about securing the backend to prevent an another user from opening it up or possibly deleting it by mistake?

Would I put the backend in a folder and lock the folder? Would this prevent them from being able to access the data from the front end? Honestly not sure which direction to go with this. Publishing the database as a web app is not an option, so is there a secure way of locking down the back end or do I just need to do daily backups in case the worst happens?

If this is in the wrong thread my apologies, admins feel free to move to correct spot.

Thanks,
    Niko

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    the settings in the folder should not allow users to delete the BE file.
    Backup daily , (or hourly depending on your usage)

the BE should be secure enough if folder settings only allow given users access to the data folder.
    you can password the BE but that seems overkill given the previous statement.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    password protect the backend db to stop them opening it - you'll need to relink your tables. users will need read write access to the folder where the backend is located. You can't prevent deletion, so do backups. One little trick I've used is to create a folder containing a subfolder, then put the db in the subfolder with an illogical name and deny access to the 'main' folder so users cannot see or navigate to the backend folder. To get there, they would need to know the full path and type it directly into file explorer.

A more secure basis would be to use sql server express as a backend instead of an access backend.

More than that, you need to consider what you are protecting, why, who you are protecting from and from doing what. There is plenty of advice on this and other forums if you just google/bing it.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    the settings in the folder should not allow users to delete the BE file.
    good point

NikoTheBowHunter is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I work in a company of 10K+ employees, I don't work in IT just back in our inventory department. So to prevent that random server surfer from opening/destroying my database, looking to secure it a bit more.

Think I am going to go with Ajax's advice and use a subfolder for the back end and then hide the folder. Just tried it out and seems to work fine. Hopefully this will be enough to prevent unauthorized users from accessing it. And based on the above, think I will now implement a daily back up.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, slowly learning the ropes here and you all have been life savers! cheers!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.