Timothy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Making a Custom Ribbon in Access

There is a very nice set of videos to help creating a menu using custom ribbon via xml. This video has 4 parts and upon reaching the 4th part whereby you add line of code to the XML code to open the desired form. The line that I added is the XML command: onAction="ribOpenForm". ribOpenForm is a global module with a parameter to open the desired form.

I keep getting an error code 0x800004005 in the Custom UI XML of my database. The attribute "OnAction" on the element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui}button" is not defined in the DTD/Schema. I am not familiar with the schema file and what to do next when the onAction command does not work?

Can anyone help me resolve this issue? The video to help create custom ribbon that I am referring to is located: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YW_eDeCz3E

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    I have to admit ignorance on this subject, but here is what is in an existing database:

Code:
    strRibbonXML = strRibbonXML & "<command idMso= 'ApplicationOptionsDialog' enabled='true' onAction='OnActionOptionsButton'/>"
    There there is a function defined:
    Code:
    Public Sub OnActionOptionsButton(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef cancelDefault)
    ' Callback from ApplicationOptionsDialog
    ' To be used to display a custom message when the File>Options menu option is selected
    MsgBox "The Options dialog has been disabled.", vbInformation, "Microsoft Access Options"
    cancelDefault = True
    End Sub
    Not sure if this can help you.

you could create a background form with all the functionality you want and have it sit there open on full screen. just an idea.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for your reply!

I tried your strRibbonXML.... statement but unfortunately it returns incorrect document syntax.

The error message below with the approach in the video specifically has to do with the DTD/Schema they reference in the http://schemas.... line. The frustrating part is that it works flawlessly on the youtube video which makes me wonder if there is a reference I'm missing? I can't seem to find how to fix that error on the internet.

"The attribute "OnAction" on the element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui}button" is not defined in the DTD/Schema."

Thanks again!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is definitely a work around to using the custom ribbons. MS provides the feature to make custom ribbons and I would like to use that approach if I can make it work but its not looking good so far. :-(

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Here is my goto site for all things Acess Ribbon. There are great exmaples and tips besides a great tool that is worth purchasing.

Ribbon Creator

FWIW: Thisis the tool that even Access xperts/gurus and MVPs use.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.