Thomasso is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

After moving the backend to SharePoint (Office 365), there are errors with VBA

Hello everybody,

I have been developping a company database for a while now.

There is quite a lot of VBA code included, macros, etc. I need multiple users from multiple devices and locations (not 1 LAN) to access the database. So I decided to use SharePoint (we have Office 365 subscription) and uploaded the tables as SharePoint lists.

However, I cannot work with the database. There are some VBA errors that aren't occuring when the database is stored locally.

Does SharePoint not support every functionality? Can I go around this somehow? Or did I do something wrong?

If SharePoint isn't the solution, what can you recommend me to do when I want several people to work with the database simultaneously? We don't have a network drive or something like that and when I try to connect the database to a backend on OneDrive or Dropbox, I run into a problem because I can't find root folder and therefore cannot determine the path to the backend (so that it would be the same for every user).

Thank you for replies.

Best regards,
    Tomas

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you can look at using azure, but for simplicity of operation, all your users will need a fixed IP which is the easiest way to keep the data safe. With azure you specify which IP's can have access. They each cost as little as £5 depending on your users ISP. However if you're users are moving around working from hotspots and the like, azure is probably not for you unless you provide a VPN to connect through.

In terms of debugging your vba errors have you got option explicit at the top of every module? have you compiled the code? have you got error handling installed to a level that you will provide informative error messages telling you what is going wrong?

Thomasso is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Azure (or any other payware solution) isn't an option for us. We want to use SharePoint which we have bought. Is there a problem with that?

Thanks,
    Tomas

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    so why ask?
    If SharePoint isn't the solution, what can you recommend me to do when I want several people to work with the database simultaneously?
    Personally I don't get on with sharepoint, I find it too restrictive for what I need to do. What matters is it does what you need it to do. If it doesn't, you need to change to something else, and if that cost a few dollars, so be it.

So cannot recommend any more that what I have suggested around debugging your errors.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.