schurst30 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Populate multiple eXcel documents using a database: is this possible?

Hi All,

I have a very simple process which I carry out numerous times per day, every day. I generate an order with an eXcel spreadsheet (order num, job code, material code, date, value, required delivery date, description) and send that order out. Depending on what is ordered (either a plant item, or some materials) means that a summary of that order gets transferred to 1 of 2 other spreadsheets (a plant control spreadsheet, or a material control spreadsheet). All of this takes a lot of time, some of it repetitive which is wasteful.

I have an idea to save time and be more efficient but just don't know how to implement it or even if it's possible. What I want to be able to do is:

- Open a database file, select a 'live project' from a drop down menu & press a "raise order" button.
    - New screen pops up where I can insert the necessary mandatory details for the order against that particular job (each time with a unique job reference number)
    - Press generate order once complete, this would then transfer the data input into the fields onto an excel spreadsheet (like a template with company logo on etc) and save it into the correct folder on the server based on what job was selected at the start.
    - At the same time the order is generate the relevant control spreadsheet (material or plant) gets populated with the necessary details (this would be a single row of the document each time an order gets raised - but the document could only ever be updated and not a new document created each time as we need to see how the orders develop throughout the course of the job).

Is the above achievable? Is it difficult to do or would there be extensive programming required?

Your thoughts/assistance would be most appreciated.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it is achievable but you need to be a reasonably competent coder.

The data is not the issue (you can use the transfer spreadsheet function), its the formatting of the excel spreadsheet where the skill is needed - but easiest way is in excel record a macro to format as required, then copy the resultant macro code to an access vba module. You will need to make a number of changes but it will give you the bones of the code

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.