larry11 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Imported Data Not Recognised by After Update Event Until Manually Clicked in Cell

Hello,

I am sure there must be an easy answer to this but I cannot seem top make it work. Can someone please offer any guidance.

I am importing data into access database from an excel worksheet, The data imports fine with no errors shown.

When I open a form in the database the data is shown correctly, however an after update event that I have added to the cell does not fire, I have pressed refresh, closed, opened the worksheet and database, imported it in various formats including csv, excel 97, xlsx, I have tried adding a coma, removing a coma, formatting the cells whilst the data is still in excel but still the database does not recognise the data in the textbox to carry out the after update function.

If I click in the cell where the data is, add a space, or coma the "After update" will fire, it will also fire without a problem if I just cut and past the text in to the textbox, I have checked the If Me and tried = and Like but it will not fire until I click in the cell.

Can someone please offer some guidance as to what is happening.#
    many thanks

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I'm not sure I understand your issue. It sounds like the AfterUpdate event is performing as I would expect, namely after using the user interface to change a field. When are you not getting the event that you expect. what exactly are you doing. Sorry if I'm just asking a stupid question/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello
    Thank you for your response,
    Basically, what I thought would happen is that when I imported the data into the database from excel, open the Access form to review the data, I thought that the After update would trigger, but it does not, although the text is in the right textbox and it looks right (I have tried adding and removing spaces), it will not fire the after update (even if I refresh the page), until i click in the field and do something either add a space or a come or just remove and then re-enter a letter of the trigger it will not fire, as soon as I do that it does!

i am sorry if I am not explaining it very well, Thank you for taking the time to respond and offer some help.

The AfterUpdate event is for the user interface. It only fires when you make a change to a bound control in a form. It sounds like you think it should fire as soon as you open the form. Is that correct? What are you trying to achieve in the AfterUpdate event?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello,
    Yes you are right, I thought it would fire when a imported the data into the database. (I knew there would be a logical answer!)

What I am trying to achieve.

I have a form on my website that is completed by clients, I then download this information (in excel) and then import it into the access database; what I am trying to do is, dependent upon what the client has asked for and the information they have provided, to populate text boxes within the database which I can then use as specific data for a mail merge, so if a client has said they want information about "Wool Jumpers", I can then automate the email to include information about the "Wool Jumpers".

I am trying to automate the process without having to manually select what information to put in the email mail merge.

Thank you again for your response and help so far.

Can it be achieved with an Update query? I don't know the criteria but I can probably help.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello,
    I am a novice!
    There are about 30 possible fields per "client Record" that could have information that needs to be updated following the import of the information. I was looking for a way to update it as I did think that it was not updating the information, that is why I was trying saving, refreshing, F9, etc, I do not know it f they could be updated using a query? Can you suggest a way this could be done or how else you think I may be able to do this.

Thank you for your help and perseverance!

could you possibly say the requirements for the update to occur and exactly what you want updating? I know you've touched on this but just to be clear.

Also If you look on youtube at update query's it will help you out I believe.

Can you describe the 30 possible fields per "client Record" that you mentioned? What is in them and where does it need to go?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you, looking for answers!!

I will start at what I am trying to do, (failing miserably at the moment)

I get inquiries from clients requesting information on products and services we offer. I have to respond with an email back to the client as soon possible, I use an MS word email template with "Merge Rules" to make the email relevant to their inquiries.

The merge fields come form the access database which are variations of the information that I get from the information in the forms that the client sends to me from our website.

I use Textboxes within access as the merge fields which trigger the "Rules" (the paragraphs inserted in to the mail merge are about 300 characters and there are 22 merge fields but each has a secondary filed atached which means there could be up to 50 variations that are used to populate the merge fields.

What I just want to do is import the information in to access, it to assign the merge fields and then just export it into word, merge and send.

using the After Update did appear to work well, I was not aware that you had to manipulate the filed to get it to update, (this I didn't find out until I had spent 3 days trying to get it to work and building all the functions in to it!

I do not mind if I have to start totally again, any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you again for your help

I believe both of us understand about the Merge. Where we have difficulty is determining which fields (exactly) are involved and where the values need to be placed. Sorry if this is repetitive.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.