RBHubbell is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to disable security warnings in Access 2016

Hi, i am using Access 2016 on Windows 10. i have a database that links to pdf files using hyperlinks. When i click on the hyperlink to open the pdf file, i receive a security warning. I use this database to open dozens of documents a day. How do i disable the security warning? i have done the following:

a. Marked the folders with the database file, the pdf files, and subfolders as Trusted Locations.

b. I have attempted to change / add a Dword file called "DisableHyperlinkWarning" in Microsoft/Common/. In prior versions of access, there was a key called "Security" to which the Dword file could be added. No such key exists in the current build of Access 2016 / Windows 10. I have tried adding Security key and then inserting the Dword file "DisableHyperlinkWarning" (with decimal value marked to "1").

Thanks for any help.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Are you using the followhyperlink method? I haven't used that too much, mainly because (AFAIK) it was initially designed to emulate browser behaviour, thus it became susceptible to all the security baggage that eventually came with that. Perhaps someone here knows of a more simple solution, but I'm thinking you'll have to make use of folder/file navigation using either the msoFileDialogFolderPicker or msoFileDialogFilePicker to navigate to the files you want to open. I only say that because you've covered Trusted Locations as a reason. What you haven't said is if the file opens after you deal with the prompt. Maybe you could set the folder location to be a trusted web site...
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-143336039bbe
    Last edited by Micron; 06-23-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added info
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, after I dismiss the security warning, the file will open in a PDF viewer. Yes, I am using the follow hyperlink method. I could solve this problem in Acess 2013 with the RegEdit solution I mentioned above, but the relevant keys have been removed or moved elsewhere.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RBHubbell View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, after I dismiss the security warning, the file will open in a PDF viewer. Yes, I am using the follow hyperlink method. I could solve this problem in Acess 2013 with the RegEdit solution I mentioned above, but the relevant keys have been removed or moved elsewhere.
    I solved the problem: I added a new key named "Security" as follows:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Offi ce\16.0\Common\[ADD NEW KEY HERE NAMED "Security"]

I then added a new DWORD (32 bit value) in the new Security key as follows:
    DisableHyperlinkWarning
    Set the value in DisableHyperlinkWarning to "1" and click the "Decimal" button and save.
    Close the registry file, restart Access. The security message no longer appears.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Very good of you to post your solution! Please mark your thread as solved if you're done with it.
    Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.