Kevin51 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Choice Field Being Moved to End of Table

I have a SharePoint list choice field which allows multiple selections. It is meant to appear in the 8th column of the table of 41 columns and is set up this way in both 'column ordering' and the default view settings in SharePoint. Unfortunately, when I open the linked table in Access this column always appears at the end. I can move the column to where it should be in datasheet view and save but each time the linked list is refreshed the column moves to the end again. Any help would be appreciated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I am not entirely sure what you're asking here if it's a table design question if you have a form open that access the table in question it will not allow you to change the design.

Further than that though, you should avoid having a single field store multiple values, I know it's an option in some MS access versions but it's an incredibly bad idea. you should look into data normalization, if you have a one to many relationship between pieces of data that should be reflected in your table structure.

Thanks for your reply. This has nothing to do with forms - it is just a linked table in Access coming from SharePoint. When I open the table in design view in Access it is read-only. I know I should be using normalization but the ability to make multiple selections in SharePoint was deemed important to my team for this database.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Again I am really not sure what you're getting at.

If your users are doing data entry directly on a table why? Why not give them a form so you can have a properly normalized structure? If your back end is on a sharepoint site there is nothing preventing you from having a front end that can be run on their local machine and have all the functionality you want. Even if you store the front end on the sharepoint site you can give them a database that works you just can't use vba.

If your users are doing data entry on a LINKED table you would have to change the SOURCE table structure (change the order of the columns etc) to reflect the changes you want on the table the users see. You cannot change the design of a table that is linked. You have to change the source object. if the source object is another access table in another access database go to that source access database and modify the table. If the source table is a SQL table that you have no control over you're kind of stuck, but you can mitigate that by creating a view (on the SQL side) or query (on the MS Access side) and have your users do their data entry on the query as opposed to the table itself.

This is helpful. I do have control of the source object which is a SharePoint list. My question is that even though I modified the view on the source side how my team wants it, it is still not showing up that way on the front-end database in the linked table. Something is causing these columns to move to the end of the table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.