Kamal123 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Main form and sub form created for frmOrder and/frmSubOrderform is not functional to place a order?

I would like to know whats wrong with my database, for some reason I cannot place a order. I would appreciate if someone can have a look at my database file and give me some advice. My email address is kamal53@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks!

Regards,

Kamal.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    could be many reasons - some that immediately spring to mind are form/subform allow additions/edits are false, subform has more than one table as a recordsource, relationships incorrectly set up, linkchild/master properties not set.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You should be able to attach the db here, after compacting and zipping.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Kamal123 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Database file for review regarding to problem.

Hi Pbaldy and Ajax, thanks for the reply! Here is my database file, I'm not sure what's the problem so I appreciate if you can have a look at it please. Thanks!

Regards,

Kamal
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    there is quite a lot of things, if not wrong, then make it difficult to use.

Why preface all ID's with 'CUST', 'PROD' etc? It means your indexes are all text and consequently 'expensive' in terms of space the index requires and the subsequent hit on performance. Also disconcerting for the user (in my humble opinion) - if they tab through the fields ORD will appear as they start to type. An if they use the mouse the could appear anywhere within the mask.

Why not use combo boxes so the user does not need to know a product code but can simply find as they type? - same for customers.

On another note, your order subform should just be based on tblOrderline. This is probably why you are unable to save an order. All it needs is the product code in a combo box. Similarly OrderID etc does not need to be displayed. If you want to display things like product names, then you would use a combo for the productID which has a rowsource which would also include the description - which can then be referenced by an unbound control

You also do not include a price field. OK it's getting it from the product table - but what if you change the price there? All your orders which use that product will change as well - is that what you want?

And you include an ordertotal field in the order table and subtotal field in the orderline table - both totals should be calculated as and when required

Think about how you will manage this. You have entered an order. Then you change a price in the product table. You need to manage that so you will need to recalculate every orderline and order total. Or is the plan that you will reverse calculate a price every time your review an order?

You need to read up on table design, you are not far off, but needs some improvement. Also read up on form design and the use of the different controls. Take a look at some of the templates provided with Access and see how they manage it

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.